Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #91
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

boy thats a nice big old coyote...one of the bigger one ive seen..miss yotes are usally on the small size of the one you picture here... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #92
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
I had some 2 1/2 and some 2 1/4 OZ loads done. Tomorrow morning is the day. Will be getting up around 4AM and start at day light. My 9:00 AM it is getting about 95 degrees and nothings moving. Not even a hungry coyote.
Phil I hope you are keeping cool out there in tuscon with this record breaking heat. I try not even to go outside unless I have to.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #93
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

Well we got out today and made 6 stands. Only called in one coyote. He made a dash between my hunting partner and myself. Two loads from the 8 gauges ended his run. Lost my favorite hand call before I made my 1st stand. Luckily I had a call I had bought but never had used in the truck. So we salvaged the day. Knocked off at 10:00 AM as it hit 95 degrees and we could not stand the heat.

]

[URL=http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Philcarr/media/002-2.jpg.html][/URL
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #94
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

looks like a good hunt to me..you can take a coyote with about any kinda a gun but when you do it with a 8 gauge that puts you in another class..ha was your buddy shooting a 8 ga also...what load did you use and how far was the shot taken...yall have made my day today... charlie
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #95
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,
We were both shooting my 8 gauges. I was shooting my Parker and he ( Dave) was shooting my W C Scott and Son. We were shooting 1 7/8 of #2's. Coyote was about 30 yards running full bore straight away from Dave and quartering from me. We both shot about a split second apart and he dropped. I can hardly wait until until October this is usually the best month to call. Our best days are 5 and 13 in a day. I like to use the Burnham Brother J1 call (Distressed Javalina ). Since I lost this one yesterday, I ended up using their Black Magic call. ( Distressed Rabbit). Most Coyotes I call come in within the first 5 to 10 minutes. I start out my calling sequence with 4 light calls and then wait at least 2 to 3 minutes before calling louder and longer. This coyote came in in less than 1 minute. Coyote hunting is like calling turkeys only a lot faster action. It's amazing how fast they come in sometimes and how they just appear from no where. Our best day in the last 30 years was 13 coyotes actually shot. On that day my brother George and I were shooting rifles and had 7 coyotes come in on one stand, and were able to shoot 3 of these. Also shot a number of doubles were we both shot 1 each. Calling coyotes is really exciting with an occasional Bobcat, Badger, fox, or even a Mountain Lion coming to the call. We have also called in lots of Deer and Javalina.
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #96
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thats a pretty good record there you got over the years..i ve never have just tried calling coyotes but i have killed some turkey hunting when i was calling a turkey...i shot a young coyote last year a calling a crow i was useing the old parker 8 ga then..may have to get me a distress call and see what i can call up... does youre parker have choke in it...and what about the wc scott... charlie
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #97
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,

I had not measured the chokes until today when you asked. The Parker is Choked .042 in each barrel. The Scott is choked .032 in the left and .014 in the right. The Scott has the best pattern I have ever seen in a gun. I will pattern the Parker real soon now I received my shells from Tom Armbrust.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #98
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

phil youve truly got a good amount of choke in that parker..i have noticed over thew past few years that most 8 ga s do not have much choke in them espically those made in europe.the guns made in the u. s. a. have a lot more choke such as your parker. i seem to recall a coupla other fellows with 8 ga also had full choke barrels both parkers... hope your parkewr really patterns well..my old 8 gas at least two of them are cly bore both guns have had there barrels cut would have been interesting to know what kinda choke they once had.. man that old 8 ga of yours should really pattern well it should make heck of a turkey gun... charlie
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #99
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Phil Witch ways more. The 8ga or the coyote. The way your are hoisting that critter Iam guessing it is a toss up.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #100
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think the Yote has about 10 LBS. on the Parker. We get some good sized dogs, but they are usually the largest around December.