Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Abby Gun gets its first Virginia Grouse
Unread 12-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Abby Gun gets its first Virginia Grouse

Wish she had been with me in person and not just in spirit. She would have had fun. Her niece Gracie however had a very nice retrieve on a very active long legged grouse. Shot some birds with this gun already, but Abby and I liked Grouse hunting together a lot. Grouse in Virginia are hard to come by and thus this one is pretty special indeed.

tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,854 Times in 2,026 Posts

Tom, the Abbey gun is spectacular. I forget what gauge is it? Grouse in this part of Wv and Ohio are probrbly as scarce as in your part of Va. Such a pity, as I grew up with tremendous flush rates here. Can you post a few more pics or give us a link to go to to see more of that gun. That grouse will make a very special dinner, enjoy!
Unread 12-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Tom, the Abbey gun is spectacular. I forget what gauge is it? Grouse in this part of Wv and Ohio are probrbly as scarce as in your part of Va. Such a pity, as I grew up with tremendous flush rates here. Can you post a few more pics or give us a link to go to to see more of that gun. That grouse will make a very special dinner, enjoy!
Thanks Harold for the kind words. Abby passed away in August at the age of 14. Hardest trip to the vet I've ever had was that day. The story of the gun can be found in the below links and its a 12 gauge as I wanted to be able to take it out west and shoot some roosters. Abby hunted roosters in Montana, North Dakota and Kansas. She liked roosters a lot.

Fortunately Abby was able to go with me to a local preserve when she was 13 and I was able to shoot a few birds over her when the gun was completed. I also got a nice turkey with the Abby gun in April of this year as well and presented that turkey to Abby in my back yard. That was also a fun day.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8752

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...hlight=Abbygun
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Great gun and a great tribute Tom. And that is one pretty brown phase bird to celebrate Abby with.
Unread 12-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,854 Times in 2,026 Posts

Thanks for adding that link Tom, like myself I am sure many went back to refresh our memory, and invigorate our souls. I have a setter who will be 13 this week. He hunted well today, had the initial point, and was backing his daughter when we finally cornered that runnin' rooster in a multiflora hell hole. The GH16 did its job.
If I was going to do a custom gun like yours, I would use a Sterlingworth 16 that I often shoot. Someone already put a replacement stock( very nice) on it and the barrels measure 26 1/2". I picked it up cheaply and it would be a good canvas for a project gun.
Unread 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Tom that's a nice bird for you and Abby to share. I'll be using Gunner's Gun tomorrow on Pheasants. He really loved his Pheasant hunting.