Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 03-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Jon Sheets
PGCA Member

Member Info

Indeed. There is some Long Gone blood in both my dogs.
Jon Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #12
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Jon, not sure but if you are looking for a setter pup, I'd highly recommend contacting Alene Levasseur in Franklin, Ct. from whom I bought my setter pup Sophie.. Alene guides at Markover, a preserve in Danielson, Ct. Great gal and excellent breeder of setters. Her pups have Grouse Ridge blood in them. Excellent hunters, very biddable, loving dogs. Sophie was easy to train, and as an added bonus, she retrieves to hand without any training/forcing from me. She's steady to flush and we've taken well over 200 birds over her since going into the field (Quail, pheasant, and native grouse).

I can't seem to find Alene's phone number, but her address is 483 Lebanon Rd, Franklin, Ct. 06254.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #13
Jon Sheets
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
Jon, not sure but if you are looking for a setter pup, I'd highly recommend contacting Alene Levasseur in Franklin, Ct. from whom I bought my setter pup Sophie.. Alene guides at Markover, a preserve in Danielson, Ct. Great gal and excellent breeder of setters. Her pups have Grouse Ridge blood in them. Excellent hunters, very biddable, loving dogs. Sophie was easy to train, and as an added bonus, she retrieves to hand without any training/forcing from me. She's steady to flush and we've taken well over 200 birds over her since going into the field (Quail, pheasant, and native grouse).

I can't seem to find Alene's phone number, but her address is 483 Lebanon Rd, Franklin, Ct. 06254.
She sounds great. No, I'm not looking for a pup. My original post was to try to find information on Grouse Ridge Kennels. One of my interests in ES's is studying their lineage, bloodlines and the kennels involved. In that respect, Grouse Ridge has become an enigma. Once very prominent, they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. While their website is still up, they have not replied to any form of contact for the last 6 months.

That fact alone piques my interest. What happened? How could a well-respected kennel, that by all accounts produced good/great dogs, simply vanish without anyone knowing anything about it?
Jon Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

I recently noticed that as i get older, my interests have changed. I suspect the folks at Grouse Ridge are getting along in years, have decided to retire and may not have any family left who might want to run the operation.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

my understanding was Pete Flanagan had some health problems that he’s since recovered from, but that could be part of it. Another odd thing was his wife, who my understandings was, that she at one time was quite involved with the kennel developed a severe dog allergy late in life, and could no longer tolerate any contact with the dogs. His son was there when I was there picking up my Monty, and seemed quite involved, but he may have been moving.

This is all conjecture on my part , as I only purchased the one dog from them and did not have a long relationship with them.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Pete Flanagan at GRK can be contacted at 607-334-4920.