Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Savage Fox B 410
Unread 12-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
Larry Baer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Savage Fox B 410

I have a Savage Fox B 410 double in pretty good shape. It shoots terrible. Meaning the shot is centered abut a foot low at ten yards from both barrels. We have shot it for years but it's tough to remember to shoot really high all the time. Is this something that could be corrected by a competent gunsmith?
Thanks
Larry Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

What are the stock dimensions? If there is too .much drop, lace on a comb riser
Unread 12-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,190 Posts

Pitch of the stock could be off too. I had one English gun that I thought fit me but I was shooting high with, took it to Bachelder's and Brad had me throw it up and said right away pitch was off so he cut the butt slightly to change it and it shot right on.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Larry Baer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way? I couldn't hit a thing with it. I took it out and sighted down the barrel. It has a mid bead and a regular bead on the end of the barrel. I lined those up like rifle sights and shot a few shots on some paper and that's how I figured out it was shooting way off.
Does that matter?
I talked to my Dad and brother and they both laughed and told me that's why they never liked hunting with it. It was my grandpa's and he used it a lot but I don't know if it fit him or he just aimed ''high''.
Are you both of the opinion that can be corrected with a stock adjustment?
I'm not doubting your advice I just do not know much about this.
Thanks
Larry Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

When you are writing down the barrel, if the beads are lined up then the gun presumably Fitzhugh okay. Only other thing I can think of is that the choke was bored eccentrically. I would suggest looking at the muzzle end of the gun, after making sure that it's unloaded, and see if the wall thickness appears to be equal around the hole dimension of the muzzle.
Unread 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Larry, where a bullet from a rifle and the shot from a shotgun hit can both be adjusted. A rifle or pistol point of impact is adjusted by moving the real sight. A shotgun is adjusted by moving the stock fit.

A shotgun can be "made to fit your specific measurements" which can be found using a "try gun" by making a stock or if the gun in question is close to what you need, the stock can be bent to fit. Bending has restrictions; for instance bending up or down may be limited buy the metal of the frame.

Things that can be changed are the amount of stock alignment to the right or left of center line drawn from the barrel (cast on/off), amount of drop at the heel and the angle of the toe of the stock.

When all fits correctly, everything just feels right; your head lays along the stock naturally and the eye just naturally lines up with the sight picture. The arm and hand are comfortable at the trigger and the heel & toe fit tight and natural at the arm pit.

When it works it's like pointing your finger and knowing that you are on target.

Not easy to explain in a simple message. There are books written on this topic.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,419 Times in 4,595 Posts

generally patterning is done with mounting the gun quickly and taking a number of shots that way since this is how shotguns are shot, not aimed like a rifle.

However, for the sake of your test, "aiming" it and finding it to shoot that low at such a close distance does sure indicate that the issue is more with the gun's barrels, boring or choking instead of the stock dimensions on the gun. The point of aim is way off by the sounds of it.

The issue may just be what it is and is not able to easily be fixed. I would speak to skeets gun shop, mike oren or briley about what the options are for re-boring to try and correct.
Unread 12-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

I bought a "new" Fox Model B .410 at the Southern this past spring. Don't know why other than I just wanted one. Made in 1965 with double triggers. The first day I shot it this fall I hit every thrown bird off a stationary thrower with the left barrel. I never hit a single bird with the right barrel in ten tries. It did not shoot where pointed on the right barrel was my unscientific conclusion. Anyway, that made it useless to me on doves. I sold it to a friend a month later for what I had in it.

It certainly was not a Parker, Fox, Ithaca, L.C. Smith, etc.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i bought a set of these b grade foxes about 6 months ago got a 410 a 20 ga a 16 ga and a12 ga they were all unfired made in the 1960 s i was offered a profit and down the road they went.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

I think Parkers shoot better.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: