Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 09-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

I have two daughters myself. Nothing like them! I know you are proud of her.
Unread 09-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Edgar I am completely blown away that Martha is your daughter. Never made the connection. I knew she was not a Louisiana native but would have never made that connection in a million years. Have been watching this show for a while since in laws live in that part of the world. Actually they live in Covington on the Tchefuncta. Been to Mortons a few times. Don Dubuc is a great personality and have been reading and listening to his fishing report segments for years. It has been fun seeing her grow into the role watching these episodes and traipsing over areas I have haunted as well mostly fishing with some duck hunting. In laws are not much into hunting.

Those cajun invasion pieces are incredible. I see one in your future chasing grouse.

Quail and upland style hunting is not very prevalent down there but at one time it was but never quite understood it since its terrain is not dissimilar to South Ga especially around that La./Ms border area of Poplarville. Guess to many other things to do there then chase quail. Btw that 28 ga. should come in handy and you need to go down there and indoctrinate her into woodcock hunting. La has some great wood cock hunting since they migrate there but nobody really chases them. Her and her friend might enjoy it. This is only video I have seen of someone chasing those bog suckers in La.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts_tkCe5i6w

Actually I am sort of glad that there are not alot folks chasing them since woodcock in winter time will actually hatch a brood in that area. In the Tennessee River area I hunted for quail we would get some migratory flights that would come before quail season opened and we would get into a few early in the season. Late in the quail season in February we would see most of them migrating back north but season on them was closed. One day got into bottom that was absolutely full of woodcock and we hunted that area a lot so we knew they migrated there or stopped over on way north. We busted a quail covey with singles going into the bottom and dogs pointed but out flew woodcock and some were the teeniest little birds. We were always baffled why woodcock season was closed and we saw them fairly regularly late in the season. We called state biologist and he told us about how woodcock will have winter time broods hence why season was closed. From then on out and late in the season we steered clear of that area because woodcock were always there. Still amazed and how small those little woodcock were and that they could fly very far. I think they would hop scotch there way in short flights from bog to bog back north.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Did she speargun that one or was it rod & reel?

Speaking of reels, what on earth is that contraption on that rod???

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,405 Times in 3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I have two daughters myself. Nothing like them! I know you are proud of her.
Reggie, I have two daughters. Martha has a twin brother, a pilot in Kodiak Alaska. My 'little' girl, 10 years younger than her brother and sister, lives here, in CT, and I am equally proud of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Edgar I am completely blown away that Martha is your daughter. Never made the connection. I knew she was not a Louisiana native but would have never made that connection in a million years. Have been watching this show for a while since in laws live in that part of the world. Actually they live in Covington on the Tchefuncta. Been to Mortons a few times. Don Dubuc is a great personality and have been reading and listening to his fishing report segments for years. It has been fun seeing her grow into the role watching these episodes and traipsing over areas I have haunted as well mostly fishing with some duck hunting. In laws are not much into hunting.

Those cajun invasion pieces are incredible. I see one in your future chasing grouse.

Todd, you probably saw Martha doing the weather for a few years on WGNO. A bunch of PGCA members will remember her, the Saturday morning of Storm Sandy, doing the wx from the beach in Myrtle Beach. Don has become a good friend as well as her mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Did she speargun that one or was it rod & reel?

Speaking of reels, what on earth is that contraption on that rod???.
Dean, That was Rod & Reel. That 'contraption' is an electric real. She hates it, preferring to use the two Penn Internationals she absconded with from me. She free dives regularly, and organized an all female dive team to compete in their 'rodeos'. Sh'e 5'2", and she shot a Cobia that was 5'6"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marthas cuda.jpg (97.5 KB, 8 views)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #15
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Daughter and son in law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (327.2 KB, 3 views)
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to James Brown For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Edgar;

I'm pretty sure in laws will know of her but don't recall seeing her on WGNO since only visit there once in a while. Don't pay attention to the local weather forecast that much or for that matter watch local news. Smart phones and computers to get news and weather is just to easy nowadays.

Just a few weeks ago I heard about Don's new show and was binge watching the program since they were fishing in areas I fish a great deal and talking to people I have met like Captain Dudley. Again had no idea that was your well spoken daughter. You could tell she was someone that had worked in front of the camera but did not know her background. Heck even on the Cajun Invasion episode of going to Alaska I was in same area 3 years ago on Kenai and Seward so loved that episode as well.

Have not met Don but my impression is he is great guy and one of the greats of La. outdoors, and that is saying something. I think it is great that she is down there getting after it. You don't hear too many women getting into that role especially down there. She has a great opportunity to really make a mark for herself. I know you are already proud of her but to start following her passion of outdoors and making maybe a career of it, that is awesome. Good for her

Tell her to stick with the fly fishing.

Also saw your pic of you shooting lefty with that little hammer gun. Did not realize you were a southpaw. Are you natural lefty or where you fortunate to learn early on about eye dominance.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 09-29-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Unread 09-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Todd, I Shoot long arms southpaw, but I Shoot handguns equally poor with either hand. I am left eye dominant. Shooting is about all I do lefty.
Unread 09-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #18
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Same here to an extent. Shoot lefty and throw lefty but if swinging a fishing rod, golf clubs, bat, tennis racket, all righty. Messed up. Playing pool righty with a left eye dominance is always a challenge.

Youngest son plays lacrosse which we did not have in SE when I grew up but have learned to sling and catch the rock with him very well either hand. I tell myself I would have been an awesome lacrosse player with the stick skills I have developed throwing with him.

Still remember the day when I was a little kid and had a pop gun running around looking like Cowboy Copas, as so told, and my dad asking me to aim gun at him to see if the barrel was straight. After he saw me trying to shoot righty and leaning my head over sight it with left eye he said that was a left handed gun and I needed to switch sides and shoot left handed. It worked and have been shouldering long guns that way ever since. I don't shoot hand guns enough but always shoot left handed since trigger finger feel is left handed. I have a feeling if I tried to shoot right handed it would be ugly.

That is awesome about your daughter. I was already watching the show and now will be watching it even more.
Unread 09-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

The TV show is live for guys on the third shift, but being up here, I catch it on you tube. I do listen to the radio programs on Saturdays. They seem more laid back.
I'm not sure how I feel about some of the sport in the South, Gator and all, but I enjoy the fishing segments, and especially the cooking. Got a few good recipes already.
I do know I got my marching orders when I dropped her off at the airport yesterday: Get her gun down to asap. She and Lainie have a promise to work some dogs with put out quail. I think she said Don will work his new dog also.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Majority of sportsmen down there don't get into gator hunting stuff but people find it interesting after that show Swamp People. Saw it a few times and mostly enjoyed it for watching those crazy cajuns and self proclaimed coon-asses. I think signature phrase was "Shewt it Eliz-so-bet".

I can just hear it now a new catch phrase coming "Shewt it Marfa"

Let me know when the Cajun Acadian re connection episode or homecoming is going to air. Most of the Acadians were deported to Louisiana Swamp as part of "The Great Expulsion" in 1765. I think part of the Acadians expelled were from parts of Maine, close enough. Still think that would be an interesting piece with hunting woodcock in your area with your daughter and then hunting them down in La with your daughter.

Louisiana food and recipes are amazing. I think there is a saying attributed to the French but I think it is means more coming from French speaking Cajuns, "Hunger makes the best sauce" I am going to have to do some research but there must be a cajun or creole recipe for woodcock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: