Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #41
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,069 Times in 169 Posts

Hi Robin, If I understood Geoffroy correctly in my recent communication he indicated approximately 80 A1 Customs he engraved during his 15 year tenure with Reagent and another 80 or so post Reagent employment as an independent
contractor. I don't think the 80 number applied to A1 Factory Engraved in Japan
as now reflected in your Production Table. That number probably is much higher.
Earlier numbers tossed around were in the 350 range... Jack Skeuse may have
an idea on the Japanese engraved A1 production. Thanks!
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #42
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Thanks Bill, you are correct. I had the number at 300 but when I communicated with Geoffroy I forgot about the others and changed it to 80 in error. I'll change it back because, at the time I originally posted the 300, I had some amount of confidence in that number.

This speculation on numbers is dragging me down a road I had hoped to avoid. I built these numbers from several areas, most all from back and forth discussions on this forum.

Geoffroy said he did 80 A1S for Mr. Skeuse and about 80 afterwards. So, I adjusted the number to 160 for the custom engraved guns.

There is active discourse on the 410 numbers on our forum at the moment. I am trying to get some insight into those numbers as well from Mr. Skeuse; maybe he can shed some light on the true situation.

If anyone can help with Mr. Baehman's query on 410 production, maybe we can come closer to resolving that mystery. I would like to see more than one person provide some solid data. Based on the picture posted there seems to be more 410's out there but where are they? How sure are we that serial numbers run consecutively for guns that actually shipped, especially in these low interest (at the time) guns. Did they make them one off when wanted or as a production batch of some larger number..... That could screw up the numbering system.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 02-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #43
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Robin, in my opinion speculation and "mystique" surrounding the .410 actual production numbers will continue for the foreseeable future. My personal belief and feeling is very few were made in any grade. Like the original Parker .410's there was little demand. I believe the majority of the PR .410 barrels whatever that number turns out to be were mated with the 28 gauge on the 00 frame. Jack or Richard Skeuse have the best knowledge (memory or records ) of the number produced.
Unread 02-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #44
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,604 Times in 984 Posts

If we just want to put some production numbers to be in-the-ballpark in the Production Chart then fine, but I believe we owe it to ourselves and to those coming after us to do better. I, and others; have questioned the number of DHE and BHE .410s produced, there also appears to be issues with the number of DHE 20s produced, the chart shows 5800 produced, but in Nick Sisley's interview with Jack Skeuse, Mr. Skeuse reported there were actually 6050 built.

As far as the Custom A-1 Specials are concerned I would agree Gournet did the lion's share of those, but if just his numbers are used in the chart there's a bunch more out there. I can name several other engravers like Baer, Koluch, Hurst, Strosin, Griffiths, Gamradt and others that have completed custom in-the-white Parker Repro A-1 Specials. A few of these engravers have done multiples of them.

IMHO, I believe the Production Chart should be revised and updated to be as accurate as our collective knowledge allows. And going forward, as additional information comes to light, further revisions be made at that time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 02-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #45
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I agree, the production chart should be accurate and it wasn't. It has led to a point of confusion that isn't helping having it presented as firm and accurate data.

My apologies.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #46
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Robin.. we all strive for as accurate information as possible and as provided
by Production records and memories from those that are in position to know...
namely the Skeuse family and those that were in their employment.
We build data upon the best "accurate" information that has been provided and
observed. I have been researching and compiling Parker data for well over 30
years. It is a moving target and as it is said "the only thing constant is change".
We know Geoffroy's information as to his engraved guns is accurate. How many in the white guns sold outside Reagent is only known by the Skeuse family and
possibly Tony Galazan. It would be nice to know those numbers.... someday maybe we will. Thanks for your continued research and updates.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mullins For Your Post:
Unread 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #47
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
As long as we're talking about updating the Parker Reproduction Production Chart . . . there are only 9 BHE .410 shown in the Production Chart. Here is a pic of a B .410-0052. This would seem to be factual evidence that there were at least 52 produced -- and likely more.
I have been told by a source who would know, that all orders to Japan were in minimum quantities of 25 and always multiples of 25. So based on that metric and your picture, there would be at least 75 410's.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #48
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
As far as the Custom A-1 Specials are concerned I would agree Gournet did the lion's share of those, but if just his numbers are used in the chart there's a bunch more out there. I can name several other engravers like Baer, Koluch, Hurst, Strosin, Griffiths, Gamradt and others that have completed custom in-the-white Parker Repro A-1 Specials. A few of these engravers have done multiples of them.

To say nothing of the incredible engraving done by Winston Churchill on a few of the A1S Repros.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: