Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

another great day afield
Unread 11-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default another great day afield

I am watching the c.m.a. awards tonight, and I was remembering my short hour hunt with our brittany cash this afternoon. I have my favorite hunting area, where cash and I got our first woodcock, where cash flushed 3 grouse and when I called him back he came flying back all excited and slammed on the brakes a foot from me. I had ferns up to my armpits, cash is looking right at my feet, not moving a muscle. I remember thinking he must be excited from the grouse, I took a step forward and a woodcock took off.

That was 3 seasons ago, today I was coming up to a large open field, I had my gun slung over my shoulder that first season walking in the middle of the same field when a grouse flew out from under a single large tree a perfect open shot if I wouldn't of had my gun on my shoulder Right near that I had another perfect point by cash on the edge of the same field and missed the bird 2 years ago. As I was getting close to that spot cash's beeper went off, nearly the same spot, I actually had a pretty decent shot, missed with both barrels. We went back where the bird flew to make sure I didn't hit him.

We were heading towards "our tree in the field" coming out to the edge of the poplar trees and field and he goes on point again within a hundred yards of the last point. A grouse flushed over cash's head, then another just right of his head. I decided not to shoot, I always worry he will somehow get in the way of my shot, I am overly careful that way. I enjoyed having the 2 grouse flush, I was almost light headed with the thrill of it all. I looked at cash who hadn't moved a muscle (probably 5 seconds had elapsed) I always remember my 2 friends always telling me to "trust the dog" I took another step forward and another grouse flew off almost behind me, that bird wasn't 10 feet from me. Cash just looked at me kind of funny I marked the area where one of the grouse flew because we would be hunting that way.

We hunted for another twenty minutes, its about 38 degrees about a 10 mile an hour wind. Cash was really flying, running hard, hunting hard, I remember thinking how much better of a bird dog he is now. We cut back towards our truck through some thick poplar slashings near where I saw the one grouse fly to. Sure enough the beeper goes off 60 yards ahead, it took me a while to get there, he is rock solid on point, I walked all around that area, I released cash and watched him look for that bird. He was about 20 yards away, when he turned into the wind and locked up again. This time his head was looking up there was one 30 foot high pine tree in that poplar slashing, I walked behind him, then in front, his eyes are looking up slightly. I walked in front of him maybe 30 feet, all around the area in front. I released cash again he ran right to the tree, put his front legs on the tree, and the grouse flew out the back side. This is the third time in the last week he has pointed grouse in a tree.

This spot will probably always be my favorite, there is not a ton of birds in the area, but it always seems to hold just enough. I am so lucky to have such a good dog, a wife that works so hard at the hospital, and keeping our dog in such good shape for me. She texted me the other day about what a "good team" we make. I sure am a lucky guy...
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2020, 12:28 AM   #2
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for sharing those memories. Few moments are better for me than seeing the dog get hot with scent and handle a grouse successfully. When it all comes together, each and every time it’s magical.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,379 Posts

Sounds like you had a great day with Cash doing what you both love to do. For me there is nothing better than watching your dog get "birdy" then work the bird for a successful shot.
Unread 11-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

thanks Brett and double lab,
That first year I was so anxious hunting with cash. He found porcupines, and a skunk, and we lost him one time. I really think we both just learned to hunt with each other. He learned what I needed from him and in turn I let him hunt farther out. I try to make a habit of doing a short hunt in one area, then go to another so going back to the truck is not such a bad deal for him. Sometimes I give him a treat when we get back in the truck too. My wife to my surprise just got him groomed last week, I didn't know if that was such a good idea because of how cold its getting and the extra layer of fur would keep him warmer. He was looking really fuzzy though. I took a couple of pictures and he sure looks slim and hard now. That area is about 160 acres, when I take a loop, I try to go in a slightly different area each time. I will try to post a couple pics of cash with his new haircut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cash with a haircut.jpg (549.6 KB, 1 views)
Unread 11-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

After that first picture was sideways, I am trying to remember how to get picture upright from what some of the guys are saying in here. See what happens on 2nd picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cash with new haircut.jpg (524.2 KB, 3 views)
Unread 11-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

if anyone can turn those pictures please do so. This is frustrating
Unread 11-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #7
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'll give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cash with new haircut.jpg (433.9 KB, 2 views)
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

And the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cash 2.jpg (164.7 KB, 102 views)
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bob,
Thanks for turning the pics. Now if your ever down in my neck of the woods, your now entitled to a bird hunt with johnny cash Thanks again
Unread 11-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

This is today from the same acreage, but a little different area. Cash had 4 points in about 45 minutes. Two of the grouse held, it was 32 degrees out, and cash was really hunting hard. I took out my parker vh 16 gauge with 26" barrels that had been refinished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker 16 gauge.jpg (544.6 KB, 2 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post: