Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member from New Mexico
Unread 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
timcornish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member from New Mexico

Just joined up last Night. My name is Tim Cornish and I am a native of New Mexico. I am 62 years old and still work (as supervising prosecutor for Torrance County) (pop 17,000). I grew up shooting my Dad's Parkers (which he got from his dad) and I still have his old 20 which I shoot doves with. I got engaged when I traded my local gun dealer (Ron Peterson, one of the best antique gun dealers in the US) and 1886 Winchester for a 2 barrel straight stock repro dhe in 12 gauge which I shot at the range on Sunday and was HOOKED!. i NOW HAVE ON ORDER A 20-16 COMBO. and am looking at a 28 repro.

I lived for years in Chihuahua as a young man and my shotgun was Dad's Trojan 12. In those days the limit on Ducks was 50 per day and there was no limit on quail or doves. That gun fired thousands of rounds and I finally shot it loose by imprudent use of heavy loads. Then I took the 20 with me to Central America where I lived in the 90s and shot many hundreds of teal and tree ducks.
The old times in Mexico are gone forever - there is still good fun to be had in Guatemala and Nicaragua if you know where and I and planing to go again!
timcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timcornish For Your Post:
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcornish View Post
Just joined up last Night. My name is Tim Cornish and I am a native of New Mexico. I am 62 years old and still work (as supervising prosecutor for Torrance County) (pop 17,000). I grew up shooting my Dad's Parkers (which he got from his dad) and I still have his old 20 which I shoot doves with. I got engaged when I traded my local gun dealer (Ron Peterson, one of the best antique gun dealers in the US) and 1886 Winchester for a 2 barrel straight stock repro dhe in 12 gauge which I shot at the range on Sunday and was HOOKED!. i NOW HAVE ON ORDER A 20-16 COMBO. and am looking at a 28 repro.

I lived for years in Chihuahua as a young man and my shotgun was Dad's Trojan 12. In those days the limit on Ducks was 50 per day and there was no limit on quail or doves. That gun fired thousands of rounds and I finally shot it loose by imprudent use of heavy loads. Then I took the 20 with me to Central America where I lived in the 90s and shot many hundreds of teal and tree ducks.
The old times in Mexico are gone forever - there is still good fun to be had in Guatemala and Nicaragua if you know where and I and planing to go again!
What wonderful hunting you have experienced!

The hunting is still good in Mexico, only the game is afoot and not flying. Will that place ever recover? I used to enjoy dove hunting in Mexico, but I'm not going down there now - not for love nor money. What a shame!
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Welcome Tim! Post some pics of your Parkers for us to see if you ge the chance.
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Welcome aboard. Norther Mexico used to be good Quail country and I suppose one could find safe hunting there again. In addition to the Parker i'd have my Kimber 45ACP however.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Welcome aboard. Norther Mexico used to be good Quail country and I suppose one could find safe hunting there again. In addition to the Parker i'd have my Kimber 45ACP however.
With the current violent crime in Old Mexico I would not go down there today. I used to go there often and the hunting was good.
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
timcornish
Forum Associate

Member Info

a .45 would not do much good! Many of my old stomping grounds in Central and Northwest Chihuahua have been destroyed anyway - ground water pumping and drought.
timcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcornish View Post
a .45 would not do much good! Many of my old stomping grounds in Central and Northwest Chihuahua have been destroyed anyway - ground water pumping and drought.
How sad! It is a shame.