Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree, no steel or hard stuff in an old barrel and through no choke tighter than a nominal modified. I use "Black Cloud" 2&3/4", one ounce #3 in the gun pictured below (and recently posted as my grouse/woodcock gun) where notox is required such as certain public hunting lands in SD and waterfowl. The latter game is approached with my sneaky <12' canoe. The gun is a 1901 VH which I bought with barrells cut from 30" to <26". I burst the left barrel at the end of the forend (all fngers accounted for) with a 1&1/2 oz load (obstruction, honed too thin? I don't know) and Kirk Merrington sleeved in a new pair, nominally choked Sk in and Sk out; thus, steel is ok. I also stretched the shortened pull with a Galazan/Silvers pad; comb height is just right; balance point an inch behind the pin.

Clearly steel is not an effective substitute for lead, but maybe better than pebbles or rock salt.

Happy Hunting, Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-10 MI G&W 002.jpg (2).jpg (205.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rigged canoe 001.jpg (217.3 KB, 4 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You shoot non toxic loads at phesants Harry? ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Calvin,

The short answer is no. Here in Kentucky we have no phesant with the exception of release birds. I have more prosperous friends that go west and north to hunt them. I'm sort of stuck with what is near and only have to use nontox on waterfoul.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i have shot steel through several of my old guns parkers lc smiths steven etc.some of these guns havepitted barrels full lenth of tubes....withsteel wads used in the shells andmodified or more open cokes i have not seen any damage to my guns....i agree that steel is not as good aslead and thatthe range is cut back...but steel will kill out to45 yards with no problem...this is my findings and opinons charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Harry,
Sorry my mind dosen't work 100% most of the time I see now that was the name of the shells you were talking about matrix phesent loads.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #16
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Yes, I shoot the Phesant TM load at waterfowl. Smacks them pretty good.
Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Over the years, I used any ammo, from unknown reloads given me to the cheapest stuff from eastern Europe to the best Winchester Remington or CIL products I could buy. I really found that when the bird and the pellets occupied the same space at the same time, I had a bird. If I didn't have a bird, it was because I missed, not because of the ammo. Now I'm not running any old thing through the Parkers. I have a supply of #6 Remington Game loads in 2 3/4 inch 1 oz and #7 Golden Pheasant in 2 1/2 inch 1 oz.

I'm having great difficulty getting RST or Polywad to Canada. No carrier will do it. I ultimately would have to have it shipped to my MT FFL who then does the export paper work and delivers to the border where we would meet and do an exchange of $$ for lead. But......... the cost of ammo becomes prohibitive in that manner.

Soo...... the lifter remains in the steel tomb until I can sort out what big name ammo might be safe or find someone to do up some BP for me (I have never reloaded)

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jack:

Do Canadian laws require the use of non-toxic shot on waterfowl and in National forests or Wildlife Management areas?
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

No lead for waterfowl. If you are hunting migratory and upland on the same day, don't have any lead shot shells on your person when you are in waterfowl habitat. You are at risk of losing gun vehicle hunting privileges etc. should you be checked.

I have not bothered the ducks and geese for quite some time but had Dad's SKB modified to take steel shot so I could if I wanted to.

For the time being, I'll content myself with upland birds.

You can find it all by clicking here

I didn't know this little gem from that reference.

It has been recommended that the ban on the use of lead shot be extended to all game hunting in order to safeguard the health of people who consume game in significant amounts.

I'm so happy someone is concerned for my health. I am one of those people who consume a lot of game and have done so for decades. With all the lead hoopla, I had my blood tested for lead a few months ago. My levels are "normal" ie same as your average vegetarian. I'm thinking we should ban manure use in the vegetarian's garden plots to protect them from ingesting e-coli which is bound to make it into their carrots. I wonder how many have already died We should start a movement (pun fully intended)

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
Feathersjr
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

Jack:

Good response. Thanks. Beware the words "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you". In the US the EPA dropped the lawsuit/proposed ban on the use of lead in sinkers, shot and bullets. Simply put, they acknowledged they didn't have the authority to impose such a ban. Thank the Lord for some common sense.

John
John R. Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John R. Richards For Your Post: