Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

It looks to my eye like I see a Remington era repair code of the left barrel flat, just along the left side of the lug -- something something 3?

Since the latest issue of Parker Pages perhaps the HT over A means Hang Tag Attached.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
Jason
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was looking at getting a letter, but when I typed in the serial number it told me there were no records for my gun. Does that mean I shouldn't bother? Or are there other sources of info to base research on?
jason brounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
Jason
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was also just looking at some pics in other albums. I noticed that some stocks have what appears to be a metal 'shield' pressed into the butt stock on the bottom. What is that about? Mine does not have one.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #24
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Just be kind to the stock and keep the pressure of the shells you use preferably below 8,000 p.s.i. It has Parker Special Steel barrels and was made for 2 3/4" shells.

It loks to have a 'trap style' comb. Can you show closer pictures of the stock especially the grip area and the comb as well as a shot from the top of the stock?
Chamber pressure stresses barrels, recoil stresses wood. (Loose stocks are what really stress' wood as the receiver then hammers the stock on each firing). Take it to a good smith or learn how to make sure the screws are tight that hold the stock on. You will need to have the right screw drivers to avoid buggering them.

A fluid steel gun will handle the pressures of all off the shelf ammo.

If it were my gun I would shoot mostly 7/8 and 1 ounce loads, perhaps some 1 1/8 ounce for hunting, keeping velocity to 1200 fps and under.

Reloading is the best way to tailor these loads for old guns especially if you are more than an occasional shooter.

That is a great gun for one's first Parker!!! Congratulations.

PS. I don't know if anybody told you but Parker guns seldom stay only children very long.

PPS. A shield was provided by Parker for owner to personalize the gun with their initials. A "badge" on V, P and G grades, ovals on higher grades. Only the Trojan came without one to my knowledge. Lack of a shield could be evidence of a restock. Might be good to have a look under the trigger guard some day as Parker stamped the serial number on the wood under the guard.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

Jason, I have good news and bad news!

The bad news is that we don't have any records for your gun so don't bother sending for a research letter. It also appears that your butt stock is not original however the stock looks very nice.

The good news is that Griffin & Howe does have information on your gun assuming I read your serial number as 190269 correctly. G & H, through acquisition of many large sporting goods stores over the years, has records of sale. Contact Bob Beach at G & H through their web site or research@griffinhowe.com

Nice gun!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Since the latest issue of Parker Pages perhaps the HT over A means Hang Tag Attached.

Dave, that was one theory before Dave Suponski sent pictures of the barrel flats that accompanied Charlie's article. HT/A appears on that very unfinished 'in the rough' set of barrels, so that theory was pretty much dismissed... but there is no definite proof of the Heat Treated Annealed thoery yet either.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Jason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Jason, I have good news and bad news!

The bad news is that we don't have any records for your gun so don't bother sending for a research letter. It also appears that your butt stock is not original however the stock looks very nice.

The good news is that Griffin & Howe does have information on your gun assuming I read your serial number as 190269 correctly. G & H, through acquisition of many large sporting goods stores over the years, has records of sale. Contact Bob Beach at G & H through their web site or research@griffinhowe.com

Nice gun!
The serial number is 190289, but I will contact them anyway.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Jason
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just want to thank you all for your help current and future. I bought the gun to be a shooter, you know nice days in the field, maybe on the water for ducks. I have been pleasantly surprised with all the findings to this point. I will continue to post when I get out and shoot it.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #29
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Jason, Welcome to the PGCA and thank you for joining us!
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

Sorry Jason, G & H does not have any records for your gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new parker pics