Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member from Charleston, SC
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
arthur.hopkins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member from Charleston, SC

Thank you for adding me to the forum.

I received my Parker from my Grandfather recently and sorry to say, iris in rough shape.

I have done quite a bit of research and now feel comfortable with the subject but I am always looking for expertise.

It was manufactured in 1895 as it is serial number 815xx. It has a Damascus steel barrel and has a 2 and an "E" on the lower half of the receiver, which leads me to believe that it is a 12 gauge with an ejector.

For the bad, the stock is completely broken and will have to be replaced, requiring an expert's touch and the factory finish on the metal is gone.

For. The features that are good, in my opinion, is there is no rust in the chambers or barrels and I think that it will be very capable to still be used.

I ask for assistance in the following:any insight from the details in the pictures, any insight to who can replace the stock(relatively close to my area, what is the overall condition, what should I do in terms of preserving this weapon?

I am not looking to restore it for resale but I would like to keep, utilize it, pass it down and enjoy.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Arthur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (414.7 KB, 2 views)
arthur.hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
arthur.hopkins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Picture 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (410.9 KB, 11 views)
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
arthur.hopkins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Number3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (423.4 KB, 5 views)
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
arthur.hopkins
Forum Associate

Member Info

No. 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (490.0 KB, 5 views)
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
arthur.hopkins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Barrels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (468.2 KB, 7 views)
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Arthur,

Welcome to the PGCA forum. Congratulations on having a fine Parker shotgun as a family heirloom. To my eyes your gun doesn't look that rough compared to some I have seen. While your stock looks pretty beaten up and broken it is possible it can be refinished and repaired to like new shooting condition. The metal also can be brought back to shooting condition as well provided there aren't deep pits in the barrels that would make the gun unsafe to shoot. There are a number of specialized gunsmiths in the country who could evaluate your gun and give you an estimate as to whether it would be safe to shoot or not. From there they can tell you how much it would cost to redo the barrels, repair the stock and even recase color the receiver. It can be pricey and you may choose to do only some of it. Personally I might have the barrels redone and the stock repaired. Some gunsmiths who can do the work and are highly thought of by forum members are Brad Batchelder, Kirk Merrington, Keith Kearcher and Darlington Gun Works. These are in no specific order and all do fine work. I would advise against taking it to the closest gun store who advertises gunsmithing work. Some of those gunsmiths do wonderful work but some are butchers who would ruin the gun in short order. It pays to check out the work of those people who will work on any gun.

I know other members will offer their expertise and I advise you to pay close attention to them. We have some real experts on the forum and they know what they are talking about.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Charlie Price
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Arthur: Your granddad's Parker is an EH grade -- that means grade 2 hammerless 10 gauge with a pistol grip. From the picture of the broken stock, which is not too clear on my computer, I believe it might be glued back together and made to look OK and possibly OK to shoot. There are gunsmiths with good wood skills that can probably tell you for sure. If it were mine, I would just try to patch the stock and clean it up good. Of course, if you wish, it could be professionally refinished to look near new but that would be costly. Years ago, I had an EH and shot it some with 12 gauge chamber inserts. Be proud of your Parker and keep it in the family. Charlie Price
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,139 Times in 3,255 Posts

as Charlie mentions- that serial number shows as a 10 gauge, it left the factory with 30 inch barrels. The record says no extras, so not sure about the ejectors Vs extractors.

There are people who can fix that break in the stock, although repair or replace, it will cost you a bit. but if it were my grandfathers gun and I planned to pass it on- i would look into fixing the stock and recoloring the barrels, and then enjoying the heck out of it.
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Judgeing from what I have been charged in the recent past you will probable be looking at about 750.00 to 800.00 to get the stock repaired and the barrels redone. Well worth the money if done properly.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Arthur: All of the foregoing is great advice. I, personally, would suggest Jim Kelly, owner of The Darlington Gun Works. Jim is a great guy and not that far from you. He will give your gun a full evaluation and a close estimate of repairs. Most probably he can fix the stock, evaluate the wall thickness and bring the gun back to shooting condition. You will want to shoot this gun only will black powder loads or low pressure shells from a company like RST.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote