Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Shellac touch up?
Unread 03-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
Keith Dodrill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Shellac touch up?

Hello new to the forum. I just purchased a Parker V 16 gauge made in 1908 that was restored sometime in the past and subsequently used as a shooter. Barrels sanded/polished and blued, receiver case colored, stock refinished with what I assumed to be some type of polyurethane based on its thickness and glossy finish. It has a vintage white line butt pad with the original “15” zip code. It has some scratches on the stock (1 deep one through the finish) and barrel scratches that looks like someone fell down with it or it fell out of a golf cart at the range. It was carried enough to wear off the lacquer and case colors off the bottom of the receiver so I figured it was restored between the 50s and 70s?

My problem: After reading though the forum I decided to darken the checkering on the stock to match the forearm. I cleaned the raw checkering with denatured alcohol and got some on the outlying wood resulting in the finish softening to a dull finish. I attempted to rub this out with a rag and discovered I removed the finish completely down to the wood in a small area. So now I assume the poly finish is actually shellac. Is it possible to touch this up and attempt to fill in the scratch and nicks without completely stripping and refinishing the stock? If so, can someone give me some pointers?
Keith Dodrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

If denatured alcohol effected it, then it is not a poly. As you suggest it likely is shellac or some other more traditional finish.
It is possible to touch up what you have done, but it may proove frustrating if you do not have some experience in doing so. And, unless you know for sure what is on the stock currently, that also difficults things.
Unread 03-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Keith Dodrill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian, thank you for the advice. I took it ouside in the sunlight today and found many more imperfections and I dont think I rubbed though the finish with my screw up. I will leave well enough alone, maybe try polishing it out. Its a hunting gun not a museam piece.
Keith Dodrill is offline   Reply With Quote