Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-30-2023, 10:54 PM   #21
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Not mentioned to date is the possibility of an errant issue lot of extra brittle or otherwise
substandard bismuth "plated" shot -supplied to Boss- from the shot company.
This upcoming week may supply some answers to our questions from the Boss tech folks.
Unread 07-31-2023, 07:11 AM   #22
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Looking forward to reading their reply, Ridge.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2023, 05:41 PM   #23
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well folks, the plot thickens...

The Boss process is proprietary and within the industry, they have the copper -plating
process patents. Kent, Winchester use tin -plating. Mono-metal, shot supplier state they do no plating. Federal-Hevi are allegedly under the same company, and use unplated bismuth, apparently. Most of the others tin-plate or alloy their bismuth shot;OR order it from the bismuth shot manufacturer. The research shows that bismuth is both soft-close to the Atomic weight of lead-but it has brittle properties that may be related to the shot
forming process. Those who are brass case rifle cartridge reloaders know that brass work-hardens and may need annealing. The plating process that Boss uses is patented, and they were a bit closed-mouthed to research inquiries.

After the cost of tungsten or tungsten alloy shot became almost prohibitive,
the shot shell industry returned to bismuth. Most of this research in non-toxic shot metals is driven by waterfowl hunting and the non-toxic legislation requirements of the US FWS- as we know-hence earlier steel shot.

It is recommended that our fraternity of older double users, particularly hunters, read
the "Bismuth Shot Shell Review" under The New Hunters Guide" Series-
written by George Konetes, PhD-Feb 2023.

It was very informative on the latest bismuth brands, and their strong points or limitations.
Boss was rated highly, so we still may never get a final answer on that lot of Boss shells
within Jeff's Super. I suspect excessive brittleness. The Dr. Konetes Bismuth review mentions problems with
brittle shot pellets that other makers encountered. There were mentions of other rough bismuth pellets, particularly Hevi
bismuth. The Bismuth Shot Shell Review is recent and objective: recommended online reading.
Unread 07-31-2023, 07:23 PM   #24
Allen Peterson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
What exactly do you mean by "blind bag", Allen? Are you referring to the canvas bag that BOSS supplies free when you order case lots, or to something like a camo bag sold for transporting stuff to and from the blind?
Stan I'm talking about a zipper bag I carry in the boat or field blind . its got Ammo, calls, lunch and a thermos of coffee hand warmers ect. I haven't figured out a good use for the canvas bag that boss sometimes throws in . Its a cool little bag though
Allen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allen Peterson For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2023, 07:11 AM   #25
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Ridge, thanks for the report. I will definitely read Konetes' review.

Thanks, Allen. I thought that's what you meant, but wasn't sure. I carry my loose BOSS shells in that canvas bag, in another blind bag, but always return the unused ones to the big box when I get home. Never noticed any corrosion, in 2 1/2 yrs. of use.

Edit to add: Ridge, I found lots of references to Konetes' pod cast but cannot find the article. Do you have a link to it, possibly?
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2023, 07:41 AM   #26
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Stan:

Pair "The New Hunter's Guide" with Konetes Feb 23 -"Bismuth Shot Shell Review".
Alternatively, run Bismuth Shot Shell Review. That should get you there.
Unread 08-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #27
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Do a Google search for "copper plated bismuth shot patent" and you'll find a PDF of a patent application by Inventor Brandon Cerecke. Legalese in the application is a little hard to follow.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #28
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Jeff Stegmeier, who wrote of the problem with Boss shot in the AHFCA News Letter,
and I have been communicating on the shot shell issues.
He also has an inquiry ongoing with Boss, Inc.

The Boss patent author, Cerecke, also happens to be the Boss owner and CEO. In addition to copper plating, Boss supplied shot pellets may have cores of tin-bismuth alloy.
If tin is alloyed with bismuth, the percentage may affect the brittleness of shot.
It appears that Boss has the sole copper-plating patent on bismuth, but we don't know for sure that their plating of Boss shot is in-house or sub-contracted out.
Perhaps the CEO will let us know.
This has been an interesting PGCA-AHFCA joint effort. Some of you like me, may be members of both collector associations. We learn from each other.
Unread 08-05-2023, 07:48 AM   #29
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

In addition to Bismuth shot efficiency (pattern %) we should also hear about the other important parameter = penetration at increasing distance as the shot velocity drops off. What good is a certain % of pellets on paper at X yards if the shot rattles off the duck or goose, or worse yet only has shallow penetration and the bird flies away to suffer a lingering death? The old time medium for testing to insure deep penetration into the vitals is that the shot pellet(s) would pass completely through a 3/8" thick dry pine board. That along with the number of pellet strikes on the bird will set the max humane range for any given shotgun with that shotshell whether loaded with Bismuth, lead or whatever.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #30
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Guaranteed more birds have died from crippling injuries sustained from ineffective non-tox loads than ever succumbed to ingesting lead from the bottoms of wetlands. The enviro-nuts and antis can blow all the smoke they want to, but I'm not buying any of it. Just sayin'.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!