Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

My PHE Pics
Unread 12-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Sean
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default My PHE Pics

I was reading through a few threads about identification and markings and thought it would be fun to post a few photos of my PHE- the first gun I bought as a Parker collector. I bought this gun after much searching, gun shows, pawn shops, and seeing examples of fairly good and really, really bad. It was intimidating based on the prices and intricacies of knowing what to look for. I consulted with people who knew things like Hershel Chadick and Ed Muderlak and reading Peter Johnson's book back in the early 1990s.

There is a lot of information out there now, the internet, this forum, plenty of guns for sale with great pictures.

Some things to learn about looking at this gun:

Barrel flats- 1 1/2 frame; bbl weight = 4lbs. 1 oz, Parker steel, proof marks, grade 1 (P), engraving intact bbl engraving as sharp as frame - probably not refinished.
Water table -sn all match, PH grade, color hardening matching wear and finish condition
Frame pics- screws in good condition, dolls head fits, trigger plate screws perfect, lever slightly right of center when closed, Color hardening remaining, action not loose, stock fits frame(not refinished).
Stock - some finish, DHBP and screws in good shape
For End- color remaining
Dimensions- I think this is a special order - 1 3/8 x 2 1/4 x 14 5/8. - fits me like a glove and not the standard dimensions of the stock guns I have seen and tried. Most had more drop (1 1/2 or 1 5/8 drop) - in my opinion.

I am encouraging new members to ask us questions questions even if they seem simple-please post and ask we are here to help! Use these photos to learn and see what we are talking about.

Sorry for the upside down photos I’ll try to fix this.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

That's a really nice one Sean. I see the milling on the barrel breeches in your last picture, very decent color and nice screws. Very nice!

I have always liked the simple, understated, yet elegant engraving of a PH.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

Nice gun, P's are very classy looking in my opinion just a few touches of engraving. I do prefer twist but steel seems to get the nod from many. Thanks for posting your pictures.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,666 Times in 1,642 Posts

A PHE 12 gauge with steel barrels was my first Parker! My wallet has gotten thinner and gun room fuller in the last 30 years, but heck you only go around once, might as well enjoy those Parkers, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very nice gun, were the P's low production?
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was engrained to avoid Damascus go I missed a really nice 10 ga. hammer gun in Memphis years ago, I do like steel and a PHE would be a nice addition but any Parker in original condition is desirable to me, but of course I am still learning what original condition is. One of my first Parkers was a VH 12 with Remington redone case colors. It was pretty and I sold it a few years and pheasants later and went for original condition since but seeing a nice 28 redone is interesting. Still wonder what happened to a DHE 28 I saw at the Vintage Cup with heavily pitted barrels for $12k, needing restoration and what to do with those barrels.
Unread 12-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

PH's are pretty common with Twist barrels, less so with Parker Steel barrels. 10 and 12 gauge PH's were most common with 28" and 30" Twist barrels. PH's with Parker steel started in 1920 and PH's ended in 1927 so less were made with Parker steel barrels. Of course when you go to PH's in 8 gauge or go down in gauge, they can be extremely rare depending on the gauge.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow, so a nice PHE with steel barrels could be a nice addition to any collection I would think. Parkers are like Lay's potato chips but they will teach you to budget your money or stay broke one. My wife's great uncle was the Lay who started that old potato chip company but her Grandfather thought it was best to just keep farming and cutting timber......

Tags
barrel flats, photos, water table