Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #31
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
It's interesting that Parker would cut the barrels from the gun you mention, Gary, and not for Askins. What year was your V grade sent back for the barrel work?
I would imagine it in part had to do with Parker needing to sell guns in 1935.
Unread 01-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #32
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Dean,

I, too, was surprised at what the DuBray gun sold for, but I also believe that if it comes up again in another year, it might go much higher. There are so many vagaries to what guns sell for at auction at any given time. I can guarantee you this: the gun would have gone for a higher amount if I'd had the money at the time!
DuBray isn't a name with broad recognition. Charles Askins, Jr or Sr, crosses a lot of different areas. Gun writer, Colts, Parkers, Law enforcement, brownings, military. Plus both are far more well known regarding their work with shotguns then Dubray is in the mainstream gunworld. I could post Dubray on most gun forums I go to and no one would know who he was, just about every foum I go to has had discussions about Askins jr or sr.
Unread 01-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #33
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

I'm getting the feeling you guys just don't have a proper appreciation for Askins the elder or the noted gunsmith Gladstone Blake Crandall. One of the longest running threads ever in the Browning section of Shotgunworld.com was on Major Askins Browning Superposed --

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=53&t=124719

Of course Parker Bros. told him to buy a new gun, they wanted to move some product! I know from the collectors point of view these modifications old Chas. had done are abhorrent, but the gun just could be a great shooter and have some great stories with it.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
Not to me personally, but there are pllenty of gun guys who chase guns attached to Askins Jr or Sr. In 1935, it is entirely possible Jr. had already started ghost writing for his father in outdoor life.

Anyway, I would argue that for the askins folks if the gun could be verified as the correct gun, it would bring a nice premium over a gun he had just owned that was original.

Heck, just look at a few of the colt border patrols that have sold on occasion that were documented as having been modified by Jr when he was the armorer for them.
Bill,

A very reasonable assertion as far as I can see. Askins did a great deal of consulting with some of the double gun makers, at least as he tells it. History has an odd way of valuing individuals, and is quite fickle over time. I wonder if Askins might be on par with, say, McIntosh, a hundred years hence. McIntosh's guns were available after his untimely death, and as I recall there was a bit of a mark-up for his having owned and written about them.

On the Colts; I know absolutely nothing about them, but over the years of attending Rock Island auctions where they frequently have lots of Colts, I am very intrigued with the prices they command and the obvious interest in them. I still have a Colt double barrel shotgun on my "list" to buy. I'd sure like to sit by someone like you at an auction and learn a little more about them as they sell. Guns are fascinating fragments of history.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #35
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:

... Guns are fascinating fragments of history.
Indeed. Those guns which have been owned by the various characters of history are, to me, the most valuable. Otherwise they are more or less commodities.

Thus, to ME, a gun modified by Askins is imbued with a story about the hands and times of a great shooter. It's a part of America's sporting heritage. More so than a perfect gun in pristine condition. To ME, perfect guns are merely a time capsule of production standards.

To cite but a few, I've owned double guns once in the collections of President Theodore Roosevelt and Sir Winston Churchill's father. They were far more than guns. They were tactile connections to great men and great times. Men who held these very guns in their storied hands. And they were not perfect. The guns, nor the men.

But they were HISTORY!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #36
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,835 Times in 2,362 Posts

Nash Buckingham's famous BoWhoop started life as an HE-Grade Super-Fox with XE-Grade wood and engraving.

31088 14 Production Card.jpg

The Author's ten-pound Becker Magnums.jpg

By the early 1930s it had been worked over and restocked by Burt Becker to more nearly match his "Bartholomew" gun 33059 (lower gun in the above pic).

Nash with BoWhoop, with ivory inlay.jpg

When found, BoWhoop's Becker stock was broken, and it was subsequently restocked and still sold for big dollars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken Stock from 31088 03.jpg (105.3 KB, 0 views)
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Cutbarrels
Unread 01-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #37
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Default Cutbarrels

Garry, here is a copy of the letter with the aforementioned gun, It has been a while since I owned it and was wrong it is not a 12 ga it was 16 gauge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4676.jpg (110.0 KB, 5 views)
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #38
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Do not know why it is sideways maybe someone can fix that, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #39
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Bill,

A very reasonable assertion as far as I can see. Askins did a great deal of consulting with some of the double gun makers, at least as he tells it. History has an odd way of valuing individuals, and is quite fickle over time. I wonder if Askins might be on par with, say, McIntosh, a hundred years hence. McIntosh's guns were available after his untimely death, and as I recall there was a bit of a mark-up for his having owned and written about them.

On the Colts; I know absolutely nothing about them, but over the years of attending Rock Island auctions where they frequently have lots of Colts, I am very intrigued with the prices they command and the obvious interest in them. I still have a Colt double barrel shotgun on my "list" to buy. I'd sure like to sit by someone like you at an auction and learn a little more about them as they sell. Guns are fascinating fragments of history.
Oh I don't know squat about suctions. I just know what I have read. Regarding the askins border patrols. He modified and adjusted all of them they received while he was armorer. Some of the ones that can be linked to his time as armorer bring big bucks if still in correct condition. It probably also helps that many people don't seem to realize that col and maj askins are a son and fsther as opposed to one long lived individual.

As to the point on McIntosh, I have gotten a great deal of pleasure from his writings and while I could never afford it, I would love to own a parker that was his...or Rutledges or Buckinghams.

Just as I am certain Dean would rather own Burt Spiller's parker than a similar grade in factory mint condition?
Unread 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #40
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
Garry, here is a copy of the letter with the aforementioned gun, It has been a while since I owned it and was wrong it is not a 12 ga it was 16 gauge
Gary,

Thanks for posting the letter. I always find the letters interesting, especially when they chronicle guns returned for some kind of work. I still wonder about Askins reporting that Parker turned down his request to cut the barrels. I'm sure there's a bit more there than "meets the eye."

BTW, are you still in Floyd? I grew up in the Williamsburg/Yorktown area, and then lived in Mechanicsville for some years before leaving Virginia for good in pursuit of an education...and a job. I still miss Virginia.

Thanks again for taking the time to post that letter.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote