Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #51
Member
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,619
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4,485 Times in 2,414 Posts

Default

bills 3 frame 16 ga is the heavest 16 ga i have heard of....another fellows 10 ga 6 frame weighs close to 16 lbs more thanmost 8 gauges and may be possible it out weighs all parker 8 gauges.......charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #52
Member
Milton C Starr
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 200
Thanks: 53
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
bills 3 frame 16 ga is the heavest 16 ga i have heard of....another fellows 10 ga 6 frame weighs close to 16 lbs more thanmost 8 gauges and may be possible it out weighs all parker 8 gauges.......charlie
I bet that is one soft shooting gun Charlie . I seen a Spanish sxs 10 this week for sale that was 14lbs 12oz I want to say .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #53
Member
Dean Romig
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Dean Romig's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 22,243
Thanks: 19,051
Thanked 17,604 Times in 7,124 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
The gun In question I was wondering if it was a #4 is this one http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory/Ant38175
Hereís a novel idea..... why not just telephone Mr. Puglisi and ask him what frame size the gun is?






.
__________________
"I'm a Setter man.
Not because I think they're better than the other breeds,
but because I'm a romantic - stuck on tradition - and to me,
a Setter just "belongs" in the grouse picture."

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #54
Member
Milton C Starr
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 200
Thanks: 53
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Hereís a novel idea..... why not just telephone Mr. Puglisi and ask him what frame size the gun is?






.
Figured no need to bother them asking about a gun I'm not buying . Just seen it was the heaviest parkers 10 listed and was wondering if it was a #4 . But it could just be a heavy #3 as well . I do need to contact them however on some other guns I am interested in .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #55
Member
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime
Member Since
Second Grade

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,121
Thanks: 4,019
Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,659 Posts

Default

The #4 frame Parker ten was a popular choice among early competitive shooters who were limited to 11 pounds by the rules of the Interstate Association as I recall. Many of these guns are graded guns weighing just under 11 pounds. Some of these guns were shot by Parker Brothers company shooters who did not pay full price for their guns. A PGCA letter usually mentions these shooters by name and also mentions the price charged. Not many duck hunters ordered grade 3, 4, or 5 ten gauge hammer guns to go into the marsh.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #56
Member
Milton C Starr
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 200
Thanks: 53
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The #4 frame Parker ten was a popular choice among early competitive shooters who were limited to 11 pounds by the rules of the Interstate Association as I recall. Many of these guns are graded guns weighing just under 11 pounds. Some of these guns were shot by Parker Brothers company shooters who did not pay full price for their guns. A PGCA letter usually mentions these shooters by name and also mentions the price charged. Not many duck hunters ordered grade 3, 4, or 5 ten gauge hammer guns to go into the marsh.
I guess that would explain alot of the field grade 10 gauges I see . I would suppose that high grade guns were perhaps better kept as well .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #57
Member
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime
Member Since
Second Grade

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,121
Thanks: 4,019
Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,659 Posts

Default

It would also explain why many of the ten gauge lower grade guns were not made on #4 frames and didn't weigh 11 pounds. The graded 11 pound guns were competition pigeon guns, the lesser guns were field guns.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #58
Member
Milton C Starr
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 200
Thanks: 53
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
It would also explain why many of the ten gauge lower grade guns were not made on #4 frames and didn't weigh 11 pounds. The graded 11 pound guns were competition pigeon guns, the lesser guns were field guns.
I wonder if that is a American thing with the heavy pigeon guns . The English pigeon guns I have seen at least the percussion ones were light for their gauge . I have some photos of a 4 bore pigeon gun a single barrel that I believe was 8lbs ! Of course it was designed for light loads around 1 ounce according to the owner . As well until the introduction of the 3.5" 10 ga , a 11lb short 10 is a bit overkill I guess you could say . Personally I like heavy guns but the majority of hunters don't seem keen on carrying a gun much over 8lbs .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #59
Member
Milton C Starr
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 200
Thanks: 53
Thanked 53 Times in 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
It would also explain why many of the ten gauge lower grade guns were not made on #4 frames and didn't weigh 11 pounds. The graded 11 pound guns were competition pigeon guns, the lesser guns were field guns.
Mr.Bill I just seen a 10 ga parker lifter with 3.5" chambers and 8lbs
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2019, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.