Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
bp 8 gauge loads
Unread 06-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 188
Thanks: 50
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts

Default bp 8 gauge loads

Im looking for loading data for 8 gauge bp loads , specifically for 2oz and perhaps 3oz loads . All I could find was people saying in black powder shotguns your powder charge should match your shot charge . Not sure what that means though . I was thinking off the top of my head it would probably take about 150gr of bp to get a 2oz load moving ? Also is Fg or FFg better for the 8 gauges ? I found conflicting information on that .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Member
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,619
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4,484 Times in 2,414 Posts

Default

paul harm may can help you with the black powder loads in 8 ga....if this old gun of yours is in good shape she will handle the 2 ounce load with ease.....she ll need to be in good shape with the 3 ounce load...i have shot 3 ounces loading smokeless powder in the 8 ga and the 10 ga....the 8 gauge seems to like big shot like no 2 and bb shot my guns patterened the best with large shot....your gun should make a awsome turkey gun.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 188
Thanks: 50
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
paul harm may can help you with the black powder loads in 8 ga....if this old gun of yours is in good shape she will handle the 2 ounce load with ease.....she ll need to be in good shape with the 3 ounce load...i have shot 3 ounces loading smokeless powder in the 8 ga and the 10 ga....the 8 gauge seems to like big shot like no 2 and bb shot my guns patterened the best with large shot....your gun should make a awsome turkey gun.....charlie
Thats the big question , Im anxious to get it in hand to inspect the bores .
It looks to have been kept in decent condition and the nipples appear to be in good shape .

Charlie in Georgia #2 is actually legal for Turkey , now no one uses it but I am curious as to how the larger shot would pattern in the 8 gauge .
I have shot 3oz 10 gauge loads from nitro ammo in a 10lb zephyr single shot .
It was brutal to best describe it . I have owned so far about 5 10 gauges , 2 sxs with 2 7/8 chambers and the other 3.5" . Honestly the 2oz loads @1300fps and the 2 1/4 oz loads never bothered me as far as recoil goes .The 2 oz loads did pattern better than the 2 1/4oz loads in the 10 ga 3.5s for me . Now I have read but dont know how true this is , that these guns with the double keyways that keep the barrels in place were designed for heavier loads . Now that I have any intention to shoot max loads . 2oz loads in a 16lb gun should be pretty soft and should be close to a square shot column in the 8 gauge ?
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Member
Harry Collins
PGCA Member
 
Harry Collins's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,498
Thanks: 5,923
Thanked 1,093 Times in 483 Posts

Default

A square load for an 8 gauge load of 2oz of shot would be 4 1/2 drams of BP. I would think an over powder card plus a cushion wad plus another over powder card would work well. Most old school loads for 10 gauge and larger professed F. I use FFF in my 12 gauge. I would try F and compare it to FF. On the wad column You might skip the cushion wad and just use two over shot cards to see how it patterns. You have lots of fun ahead of you figuring out what the old girl likes. I would get a good brass rod to load with as the guns ramrod might not be up to the abuse of range shooting. McMaster Carr has brass rods https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-rods. I tapped the end of mine for a ramrod button https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...+Ramrod+Button
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 188
Thanks: 50
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
A square load for an 8 gauge load of 2oz of shot would be 4 1/2 drams of BP. I would think an over powder card plus a cushion wad plus another over powder card would work well. Most old school loads for 10 gauge and larger professed F. I use FFF in my 12 gauge. I would try F and compare it to FF. On the wad column You might skip the cushion wad and just use two over shot cards to see how it patterns. You have lots of fun ahead of you figuring out what the old girl likes. I would get a good brass rod to load with as the guns ramrod might not be up to the abuse of range shooting. McMaster Carr has brass rods https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-rods. I tapped the end of mine for a ramrod button https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...+Ramrod+Button
I will look into that thank you . I am hoping that the ole girl has shootable bores . Such a heavy built 8 gauge I am hopeful . Dont know if I will use it for turkey hunting next year though as I may have a parkers 8 gauge come February now that will be interesting .

For 1100$ I dont think I will be too disappointed , I have looked at the 8 gauge muzzleloaders on gunsinternational and they are all twice as much and look worse for wear .

On a gun of this vintage would it be risky to remove the nipples for cleaning ? I have seen videos of people shooting original civil war muskets and they appear to be using the original nipples .

I think I added up that a 22lb bag of shot will provide 76 , 2oz loads or somewhere in that range .I was looking at the magnum chilled shot on the bpi website . I was thinking the plated lead shot would not be the best for the old girl ?
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 07-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Member
Harry Collins
PGCA Member
 
Harry Collins's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,498
Thanks: 5,923
Thanked 1,093 Times in 483 Posts

Default

I think the chilled shot might be easier on the bore just because it's softer. I would give the nipples a good squirt of Kroil and let it sit a day before having a go at them. You might nick the brides hair dryer and put some heat to them first as well. I have a 14 bore George Thompson English SXS with Laminated barrels that I shot the original nipples. I think you got a deal on your new 8 bore and I'm anxious to view your follow up reports. I have an Irish double shot snake from Dixie Gun Works that is adjustable to throw 1 1/4, 1 1/2, or 2 oz of shot. I have a shot card in the bottom of mine to throw 1 oz of shot on its lowest setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2387.jpg (518.6 KB, 0 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 07-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 188
Thanks: 50
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
I think the chilled shot might be easier on the bore just because it's softer. I would give the nipples a good squirt of Kroil and let it sit a day before having a go at them. You might nick the brides hair dryer and put some heat to them first as well. I have a 14 bore George Thompson English SXS with Laminated barrels that I shot the original nipples. I think you got a deal on your new 8 bore and I'm anxious to view your follow up reports. I have an Irish double shot snake from Dixie Gun Works that is adjustable to throw 1 1/4, 1 1/2, or 2 oz of shot. I have a shot card in the bottom of mine to throw 1 oz of shot on its lowest setting.
I have been looking at shot throwers on the possible shop that throw up to 2oz I believe it was .I am anxious as well to get it in hand and let the old gal breathe back to life . As someone once said these old guns just have a hunting spirit about them that you dont get with new made guns .

I was looking at the prelubed wads online .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
Member
Harry Collins
PGCA Member
 
Harry Collins's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,498
Thanks: 5,923
Thanked 1,093 Times in 483 Posts

Default

Yes! Circle Fly is a good source for lubed wads. I have taken an old recipe for lube and made them myself. As I recall it's one part mutton tallow https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...roduct_id/2669 one part paraffin wax (you'll find this in the grocery store), and 1/2 part bees wax (google it as even walmart has it). This lube sets up hard and is great for cap and ball revolvers. When you melt them together and its in its liquid state I dip the cushion wads about half way. I load the gun lub side up.

I gave my laminated steel barreled muzzle loader the Firestone Test. I bungie strapped it to a tire with some stiff loads, hid behind the bulldozer, and pulled the triggers with a long string.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_0119proofgeorgethompson0004.JPG (59.1 KB, 51 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 07-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Member
Harry Collins
PGCA Member
 
Harry Collins's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,498
Thanks: 5,923
Thanked 1,093 Times in 483 Posts

Default

Oh, many advise using wonder lube to prevent rusting after cleaning. I have gotten rust even after a liberal application. I've found a non petroleum product that works great. Fluid Film https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-...saAm35EALw_wcB
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Member
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 188
Thanks: 50
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Yes! Circle Fly is a good source for lubed wads. I have taken an old recipe for lube and made them myself. As I recall it's one part mutton tallow https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...roduct_id/2669 one part paraffin wax (you'll find this in the grocery store), and 1/2 part bees wax (google it as even walmart has it). This lube sets up hard and is great for cap and ball revolvers. When you melt them together and its in its liquid state I dip the cushion wads about half way. I load the gun lub side up.

I gave my laminated steel barreled muzzle loader the Firestone Test. I bungie strapped it to a tire with some stiff loads, hid behind the bulldozer, and pulled the triggers with a long string.
Haha that's actually similar to what I had in mind of trying ! I guess a stiff load for the 8 would be a 3oz load . Might need a bigger tire however lol .

How do you clean your bores ? I was looking at 2 in 1 solvent and lubes . I know alot of people say use soapy water . I just don't like the idea of putting 150yr old barrels in the bathtub .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2019, Parkerguns.org
Copyright 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.