Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Took a walk through a south Texas field today
Unread 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Took a walk through a south Texas field today

I took a walk through a south Texas field today with a good friend. I also had couple good dogs and a great guide along. the morning started out with a hen pheasant flushing and being droped with 1 pull of a trigger on a 1882 10 ga. grade 1 Parker.(this is the gun I bought from PGCA member Thomas Benson Sr. and doubled on white wing doves with) THANKS THOMAS
We walked a portion of the field, then returned to the trucks to water the dogs. Every time we got back to the trucks I would grab a different gun.First the 1882 grade 1 10. hammered, then a 1898 grade 2 hammerless, then a 1927 VH 12.
8 pheasants & 1 quail fell this morning to my Parkers.

Top pic are the birds taken by the grade 1.
Lower pic is the days rewards. so far.Another friend just called and said he has a 4 pt. white tail eating his apples and wants him removed. As he doesn't have a bow, it falls on my shoulders. Oh the burdens of friendship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (529.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (526.9 KB, 4 views)
Unread 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks like you had a good hunt PAUL. your my kinda guy hunt with several different guns the same day...a load of buckshot in that old 10 ga will take care of that apple eater..some good lookin huntin spots there and some good lookin parkers and jeep... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am just curious as to why the birds are banded? Beautiful guns and birds. Great shooting.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Paul: Thanks for calling me today and thanking me for the 10 Ga. Hammer gun you purchased.I was surprised with the call as we had just entered the field for birds ourselves and I can say we mostly went for a nice long walk but did not get skunked. I started the morning on a duck hunt and at 10 o'clock we started on pheasants and it was a great day.I always take my next door neighbor Eric who is now 14 and we have a great time. Nice looking guns you have and looks like you had a great time also. Enjoyed the photo's. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dennis,we don't have pheasants in the wild down here. These birds are farm raised & hunted on private land. The place I was hunting is called Top Flight Hunting in Coloumbus Tx. topflighthunting.com great times were had by all today. even though I saw the apple eater but he never gave me a shot.Until next month it is bow season only on them big tan beasts.

Charle, thanks. I have to admit the jeep aint mine. Belongs to the guide. I like them but it just don't match up to my diesel Dodge
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Paul, thanks for letting me know about the banding on the pheasants. I did not know that and am grateful to learn something new. Following on with your comment to Charlie I have a 99 Dodge diesel with almost 247,000 miles. Other than minor glitches it is still running strong and I love it. When I think about $50,000 for a new one that won't do anything that mine can't do I realize mine is doing just fine and will keep it.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

Great to see this gun in use some more and taking down birds.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dennis, my Dodge ia a '98, miles are right up there with yours. I think the same thing about a new one.
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mills, I'm really liking those 10 ga's. They kick less than the 12.
I've got a friend and neighbor that can't believe that I'm actually shooting them. He thinks they should be on a wall. I believe that you should be able to shoot any gun hanging on the wall. If I can find 2 more 10s I'm gona change my PGCA user name to 10/4