Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Just tested
Unread 08-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Just tested

I just got these test results back from Precision on some 12 ga. waterfowl loads, use'em if you need'em. I found the 1 oz. bismuth preformed very nicely both close (ic and mod barrel) and at range (mod and full barrel). Rolled big ducks out like the lead 6s of my youth!

Federal Premium target hull-paper-cut to 2 1/2"
Fioche 616 primer
Helix 18 wad
20.0 International Avg vel. 1264 fps
1 oz. #5 bismuth Avg press. 7547 psi
6 pt. crimp
Interesting note: same load w/shortshell wad ran 2K higher pressure! Surprised me, shows what you might consider an insignificant substitution can do to pressures! I have seen no difference in substituting lead for bismuth (same weight) but can't use them on water fowl.

Federal plastic w/plastic base cut to 2 1/2"
Fed 209 primer
Helix 18 wad
20.0 gr. International Avg vel. 1286 fps
1 oz. #5 bismuth Avg press 7448 psi
roll crimp w/plastic overshot card
Same load w/6 pt. crimp Avg vel. 1268
Avg press. 7685
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 08-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Matt Stolley
Forum Associate

Member Info

The Federal hull load, is this the plastic Gold Medal hull or another Federal plastic?
Also is the primer the old Federal 209 or the newer 209A?

Very similar results to this load of yours from 13 months ago.

12 ga. 2 1/2" Cheditte
Cheditte 209 primer
20 gr. International
BPI Competition Special Short
1 Oz. #5 bismuth

Avg vel. 1265 Avg press. 7692 PSI
Shot it all duck season last year. Wasn't a very good season but when we had ducks this worked well out 45+. Recoil isn't objectionable either, might be a bit starchy for a heavy day of clays. I shoot the same load with 1 oz. #7 or #8 lead for doves.
Matt Stolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Matt, these are some federal hulls I bought from BP that were primed. They have no marking except for headstamps. My goal is to find several combinations with a single powder (which I have a fair amount of) that work well and keep me in the same range on velocity and pressure. Component availability being what it is I figure it better to have more workable combinations and am "hunting" that 7500 psi area, certainly under 8K. Easy on aged guns and aging duck hunters!
I am also a student of the school that says the more consistent the velocity of the loads you shoot across all guns/gauges the better a shot you will be. Leads won't change. I want all to be in the 1250-1275 range making lead calculation the same whether I'm shooting doves, upland, clays, or waterfowl. Constantly changing velocities from one field to another can't help with consistent good shooting. It also appears from my efforts on the pattern board (butcher paper on a barb wire fence) I see patterns more consistent in slower velocity ammo. My average on long, second shot birds has definitely gone up following this train of thought. Doubt it makes much difference on the first bird over decoys, you're shooting him in the face at 20 - 25 yards as he settles. That second bird is winging it for all he's worth often out at 45 to 50 yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 08-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
Matt Stolley
Forum Associate

Member Info

Keith, thanks for clarifying the hull and primer info.
I too have a large(ish) quantity if International and use it regularly for the same purposes as you.
The load you posted last summer is a winner! I have no doubt the latest is also great.
Thanks for sharing.
Matt Stolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

You're more than welcome. I have picked up several 16 ga. loads from members that were kind enough to post them and saved me time and components and testing efforts. Always nice to pour a couple of buckets back in the well! I try to post anything successful I have had tested for benefit of all. Right now I'm working on some 20 ga. stuff, results when I get'em where I want'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: