Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

squirl season
Unread 09-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default squirl season

opening day is only 2 weekends away for us in north miss...bow season also opens on same day for deer....i m no bow hunter dont know why seems like i never had time....i m really fired up about squirl hunting this time got that new 8 ga davenport single barrel to use on them full choke 36 inch barrel and 4 inch chamber who was it that said all ways use enough gun....last night i loaded up 10 rounds of ammo more to follow i used winchester 3 1/4 inch hull winchester primers 40 grains bluedot powder then 1/8 inch over powder wad then a sp8 plastic wad with a 16 ga 1/2 inch wad for filler then 2 ounce of no 6 lead shot then a split 1/8 inch wad over the shot and then roll crimped....this should be a pretty good load for them old tough boys.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Charlie,

We'll expect a report from your squirrel opener, and hopefully a photo with that cannon you will be using. If you do indeed shoot any of those tough old boar squirrels, my guess is that they will be tenderized after meeting their fate at the hands of that beast of a gun. Based on posts over the past couple of years, I think you and I may be the only squirrel hunters in the Association. Hey, just more fun for us, eh?

Good shooting!!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Our season opened 9/15. A friend and I were talking about doing a squirrel hunt just yesterday. I favor a nice scoped .22 rifle.
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Our season opened 9/15. A friend and I were talking about doing a squirrel hunt just yesterday. I favor a nice scoped .22 rifle.
Hey, Rich,

My Dad always used a .22. He liked short hollow points and mounted a high powered rifle scope on his .22 rifle. He would not shoot unless he could see the head. I waited on the "other side of the tree" when I was his "dog" at age 6 while he zeroed in on one in the top of the tree. It seemed like hours waiting for him to shoot, but they (at least in my memory) always fell dead with a shot to the head.

How 'bout post a photo or two of your squirrel hunt? Good shooting!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

our planed hunt for this am got rained out. I leave for a month or so of grouse hunting in a week so the squirrels will move to the back burner probably until the first week of November. A morning sitting in the woods with the leaves off and a scoped 22 is good practice for deer season.
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i use to use a 22 but need a shotgun now seems like...to me squirl hunting is one of most favirite game to hunt...i know the 8 ga is to much gun for squirls but heh i just turned 71 yesterdayso i need a little excitement ....i ve got to make a disicion on were to hunt opening morning...my grandson wants me to hunt in a large river bottom with him or else i can hunt around home by some pecan trees...aint made up my mind yet...we will all meet up at our spring to camp and have dinner....charlie...
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Happy belated birthday Charlie! We Virgos were born during hunting season so it is only natural we are happiest hunting. I used to get up early and squirrel hunt every day I went quail hunting, giving the birds time to come off the roost and move a little to give the dog a scent trail. Then in the afternoon I would quit early enough to give the birds time to get back together after we flushed them and go after squirrels again. Now that was a full day.
Jerry Harlow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

love to hunt squirrels, scoped .22 rifle most of the time, but couple of times each year I hunt with a Ruger MkII 22/45 with a 4x Leupold handgun scope...
Unread 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

You guys should come to NH this fall to hunt grays. We have a long season and I do not know anyone who hunts them. I never have, just not a tradition here. But this year would be outstanding. For some reason our Gray population has exploded. Even the state TV station did a report on the number of grays that are being hit on the roads. It is unreal. Last weekend I loosely counted 45 hit in a five mile stretch of road.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Eric Estes
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have noticed the same Steve, from Nashua up through Concord where I regularly travel. Never seen anything like it. The squirrel carnage on the roads is just incredible. I have seen a few exit ramps where there easily 20 plus carcasses in a couple hundred foot stretch. It is interesting in that it seemed to begin just a few weeks ago. About the time the acorns started falling like rain.
Eric Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Estes For Your Post: