Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 09-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #21
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom I can attest to that about my experience with slugs. Key was having cyl or no more than an imp cyl choked barrels. I got the best performance out of Brenneke compared to Remington. Started with Remington and took 2 shots at a deer at 50 yards using an A5 that had a imp cyl. barrel. Gun did not have sites but had to take a fine bead and it was pretty accurate and could hit an 8 inch pie plate consistently. In heat of moment though since jumped him did not take a fine enough bead and both shots whizzed over him. After first one he stood there looking at me like your kidding, you got some nerve. Did not get a chance at a third. I needed a better system. (BTW I am pretty sure I was only person that shot at that deer and he got educated. He was a ghost deer and we all think he died of old age. We only saw him after the season a few times for about 7 years after that and he was a brute. If someone got him we never heard about it.)

Got a slug barrel with an 1100 and started with Remington slugs in it like I already had and figuring a Remington gun. Nope, they were all over the place, even quit sighting it because was not getting anything consistent. Thought it was me but had gun laying in stacked 50 pound feed bags so rest was rock solid. Frustrated went and got some Brennekes and tried it again and was able to get it sighted in at 50 yards and could hit within a 4 inch circle consistently. Never tried anything else after that.
Now I will have to say the Brenneke's that I shot had a fiber wad that was screwed into the base of the rifled lead slug. I don't know if they make them like that anymore.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 09-11-2018 at 03:52 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #22
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind when sighting in a slug gun or a rifle for that matter, is that groups get very inconsistent if the barrel gets hot. I usually let my barrel cool a bit after each shot. A shotgun barrel is particularly susceptible to a hot barrel. You'll get decent groups till the barrel gets hot and then shots are all over the place. It's something to always keep in mind when sighting in.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 09-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #23
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom have you ever heard or encountered muzzle whip and barrel harmonics. I know it is studied with rifle barrels and there has been some talk regarding it with shotgun barrels. Unofficially I have heard that is a supposed pro for O/U's over SxS's since O/U's supposedly stiffer and not subject to as much muzzle whip from POA to POI.
Unread 09-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #24
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't know much about muzzle whip or barrel harmonics. I just know what I experienced with my guns. Maybe both played a role in my results but I have no idea. I can tell you that rifles with "pencil" barrels on lightweight guns are problematic at the bench. They get hot after only a few shots and you have to be very careful to let them cool after each shot. Much more so than regular barrels. I've shot at the bench a lightweight Model 70 in 30-06 and a Ruger 77 in 243 with those barrels and they are a pain. I would never buy a gun with a pencil barrel. I was testing those guns for a buddy.
Unread 09-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #25
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

The fellows in Russia that made one of my 10 gauge slug molds and the mold for 16's that I have also make a mold for the 28 and 410 .

Most of their designs are loosely based one the Lyman 12 and 20 Sabot Slug's IE they look like large air rifle pellets .

The Rooskie slug in my 10 gauge guns generally shoots very well , same can be said for the Lyman in several of my double 12's . The Rooskie slug shoots the best of any of them I've tried in a GH 16 Damascus barreled gun , that one shoots well out to 50 yards .

The smallest I've spent any time messing with is the 20 gauge and as I am sure you may have guessed I have the Lyman 20 gauge sabot mold . Anyway my little 20 VHE has done remarkably well with factory Brenneke both the old ones and the present manufacture , it's also done relatively well with factory Remington foster slugs . My home cast slugs do a bit better then the REM but not as well as the Brenneke .

I've not bothered with the 28 using Brenneke or casting as my only 28 at the moment is a like new Superposed skeet gun . But who knows what I might luck into one day . If I should ever cough up the cabbage for a VH 28 I'll most certainly work up a load with a home cast slug and plunk a deer . Well that is if I'm physically capable
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #26
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wow! That's hard core. I never cast my own slugs. Some Parkers shoot slugs remarkably well and others don't. My grandfather took a lot of deer with his DHE 28" modified and full long before I came along. I also took many deer with it in my teens. That was a 60 yard gun with both barrels, even with the standard bead. I once told a friend how good the gun was with slugs and he doubted it. He paced off 60 yards and stuck his license holder in a tree and told me to hit it. He was amazed when the back tag went flying off the tree shooting off hand. I aimed a bit high and a bit to the right because the right barrel crossed a bit to the left at 60 yards. I sure was proud of that old 1916 Parker.
Unread 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom, I take it you were never afraid of blowing the chokes out that gun with that solid chunk of lead.
Unread 09-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #28
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Lead will never blow out the chokes of any gun. Doesn't matter whether it's solid or shot. That gun has had a lot of slugs shot out of both barrels between my grandfather and I. It still throws beautiful modified and full patterns. The biggest deer I have ever killed with that gun was a massive 4 1/2 year old eight pointer, my first deer.
Unread 09-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
Loren A Wilcox
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a Winchester Model 9410 that shots slugs just fine. My daughter used it for the Michigan youth hunt. She has gone to a 308 as she got older. But the 9410 handles a scope. Very good groups at 50 yards. Great for hunting in the swamps here in the north
Loren A Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #30
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A 308 with 150 grain bullets is a fine deer gun. It has very similar ballistics to the 30-06 but in a shorter case. Actually, from a practical hunting perspective, there is no difference.

I do have to admit, that I am not in favor of shooting at deer with a 28 bore slug or 410 or even 222 or 22-250 class rifles. These are far better than the sub bore gauges, but still fall far short for average hunters. These, for deer, are expert's guns, and should not be used by the average deer hunter. I have humanly taken many deer with a 22 magnum, but this was under controlled conditions and I was very careful when choosing whether to shoot or not. It has to be a perfect situation with minimal chance that the hit will be marginal.

The average hunter can not be expected to adhere to these standards totally. This is exactly why the gauges and calibers are outlawed in many states including NY.