Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

One shy of a limit
Unread 12-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Quail1
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default One shy of a limit

It is seldom that I carry a Parker when chasing wild chukars.
In nearly all the spots in Utah that I know, chukars are in steep often extremely rocky country. It can be very hard on guns. Most days, I will carry a CZ Bobwhite in 28 gauge or a SKB 100 20 ga. Both nice enough guns, but neither will bring tears to my eyes if and when I take a tumble.
Yesterday though, I took the 20 ga. GHE out to a hill, that is by our chukar standards - mild. I had my oldest, a Setter named Dot and my youngest, a French Brit named Cholla (Choya). Dot is 11 1/2 years and Cholla is going on 2 years. Dot steady as ever got points on 3 coveys. Cholla proceeded running them up and received a bit of electrical stimulation and a few choice words of advice!
Of the three coveys I managed 5 birds, but only retrieved four. The fifth bird landed directly in the middle of a patch of catclaw the size of a mobile home. Even though we all could see it, not one of us could get close to that bird. We all came out bloody.
A memorable day with a great dog that has fewer hunts left in her than she's already seen, a young dog with lots of piss and drive but much to learn, and a special gun that doesn't get out in the field nearly enough.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2170.jpg (569.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2232.jpg (524.1 KB, 3 views)
Fred Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fred Lowe For Your Post:
Unread 12-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Fantastic!
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

good storey...never shot a chucker but can add it to my list of wants..nice gun them little parker 20 s are great.. only thing i get to use my 20 s on are dove and squirl...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

It's great to be able to get the old dog and the young one hunting together. I remember Gunner's last few hunts. A good day with the dogs and the Parker....priceless.