Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Yes. The '57 had single headlights + it says 1958 on the sign on the side. I think the one right in front looks like a studebaker based on the configuration of the one headlight I can see and way the hood tapers towards the little round chrome grill assembly if you could see it.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I bet Studebaker as well. Maybe a 49, 50, or 51.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Christie For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Are you certain that is a Galaxie and not a Sunliner? My uncle had one with the police interceptor engine. 58 sounds right.
Jack Selman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This one has the rare retractable hardtop. Those were so cool! We had a '58 with posi-traction and the 352 police interceptor that had 4-bbl carb with huge throats. That baby would flat out haullllll asssss, but it was a puppy compared to my grandfather's '58 Chevy Biscayne with the experimental 400HP 348 with a 4-bbl, posi-traction and a 4-sp super turbo hydromatic transmission. My grandmother turned into a NASCAR driver every time she got behind the wheel of that thing. Pretty fun for us kids.
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

We had a '63 Galaxy wagon with the 352 4bbl and overdrive. You pulled a control handle under the dash to engage it.... talk about flyin' down the highway!!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #16
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I know the handle Dean! I bought a '65 Ford station wagon from a neighbor here just for the 289 engine that I wanted for my '69 Bronco. The wagon had a 3-spd w/overdrive with that cable control and got 25mpg on the highway. It was near mint, didn't have any rust on it and had all new glass. I gave it away after removing the engine. I was soooo tempted to keep it. It had been undercoated and didn't have ANY rust underneath and the interior was like new. Pete had parked it when something went wrong with the transmission, which I discovered was just a sheared bolt that held one of the shift levers onto the txmission and would have taken him about 15 minutes to fix. Apparently he never crawled under to find the problem. The engine was a project. I got it all installed in the Bronco and it wouldn't turn over - damn. The lifters and valves and lord knows what else were rusted up so I reverted to my hillbilly mechanic days from when I was 12-16 yrs old and started pouring oil all over the top end and slowly turning it over with a breaker bar and cheater on the balancer. When valves stuck and wouldn't retract and seat I dumped more oil on them and beat them loose with a big wooden mallet until they all moved to my satisfaction then folded the hood out of the way against the windshield and dumped motor oil and gasoline down the carb and started cranking it over and the fun began. It started with a few minor explosions and belched rust, black oily smoke and flames about 3ft high out the carb and exhaust for a while as it came to life, but after a few minutes and one minor grass fire was purring like at least a John Deere and I reckoned we were in business! Down went the hood and away we went for a test ride. After a few miles of sputtering and backfiring it smoothed out and ran like a new car. I wouldn't have been happier in a new Caddy! Eventually I pulled it out and creatively installed the 170CI 6-cyl out of my '66 Bronco in it. The V8 had too much power. I'm still using the Bronco for plowing snow, for which it is perfect. We definitely have some history together....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: