Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 09-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #31
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,920 Times in 2,690 Posts

I think as supply eventually balances out demand we will see a decrease in the costs of components and factory ammo. It’ll never go back to pre-shortage levels but it will decrease. Most of the shortage is from the diminished supply chain and not from a manufacturing slowdown.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 09-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #32
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,550 Times in 4,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Who ever thought it would come to this? Just posted to Facebook

RST is at Hausmann Hidden Hollows Sporting Clays.
35m · Friendsville, PA ·
Thank you to the Vintage Gunners for providing powder so we could load shells for the SxS Championship this week. There is a limited supply, so we will have a limit of 3 boxes of shells to make it fair.
Hope to see a lot of you there.

When I spoke to Morris at Rock Mountain he said that Powder was their issue. They cannot get it from anywhere, even overseas. He said that some of their larger Texas ranch and game preserve customers were dipping into their hoards and sending them powder so that they could load shells to sell them.

So, the above for the VGC goes right in line with this scenario.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #33
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
When I spoke to Morris at Rock Mountain he said that Powder was their issue. They cannot get it from anywhere, even overseas. He said that some of their larger Texas ranch and game preserve customers were dipping into their hoards and sending them powder so that they could load shells to sell them.

So, the above for the VGC goes right in line with this scenario.
A sad state of affairs with no apparent end in sight Brian. The RST rep told me the same thing at Hausmann's in June, powder was their issue, no problem getting primers because they were getting primed hulls directly from Cheddite.
Unread 09-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #34
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

It seems like we are in a cycle of going through these shortages every few years. It is inconvenient for us, but I worry most about the small suppliers like RST
Unread 09-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #35
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
A sad state of affairs with no apparent end in sight Brian. The RST rep told me the same thing at Hausmann's in June, powder was their issue, no problem getting primers because they were getting primed hulls directly from Cheddite.
If the powder manufacturer is working at capacity and supply chain is the problem then there must be a stuffed warehouse waiting on a truck to a distributer.
If so must Mr. Baker wait on the distributer or can he send his truck to the makers warehouse? The whole situation is baffling if all involved are telling the truth then a hell of a lot of product is in limbo and that means a lot of money from sales not made. This unrealized income has to be hurting all involved and it seems to have spread beyond the shooting sports to most of the economy.
I have no answer just a lot of questions as to why these products, if made can not be forwarded to the end user. Ammo makers want to sell the product to make a profit and i would think if i were in that situation i would find a way.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #36
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,469 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
If the powder manufacturer is working at capacity and supply chain is the problem then there must be a stuffed warehouse waiting on a truck to a distributer.
If so must Mr. Baker wait on the distributer or can he send his truck to the makers warehouse? The whole situation is baffling if all involved are telling the truth then a hell of a lot of product is in limbo and that means a lot of money from sales not made. This unrealized income has to be hurting all involved and it seems to have spread beyond the shooting sports to most of the economy.
I have no answer just a lot of questions as to why these products, if made can not be forwarded to the end user. Ammo makers want to sell the product to make a profit and i would think if i were in that situation i would find a way.
I didn't understand Mike's comment either. I would assume trucking/transport is a big issue, as are warehouse workers. Although I can't stand Dicks Sporting Goods, they were born here in Binghamton, NY and they built a bajillion square foot distribution center here and can't move product out of here for lack of warehouse workers, forklift drivers and truckers. Likewise they can't bring all the product in to distribute. There are more recreational shooters than golfers, and we added 9 million NEW gun owners last year. Were you to add 9 million more golfers (God help us..) they would have to build 10,000 more golf courses, so there are some big supply/manufacturing issues too. This data was from another thread on here from the NSSA, somewhere, can't find it.
Unread 09-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #37
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

I can understand primers going to the ammo factories and being prioritized before the reloading market. What puzzles me are Hodgdon and Alliant. They claim to only service reloading. Lead shot and plastic wads are plentiful why not powder. The only thing i can think of is the powder feed stocks are the supply problem, maybe nitrocellulose comes from China like about everything else.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #38
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I can understand primers going to the ammo factories and being prioritized before the reloading market. What puzzles me are Hodgdon and Alliant. They claim to only service reloading. Lead shot and plastic wads are plentiful why not powder. The only thing i can think of is the powder feed stocks are the supply problem, maybe nitrocellulose comes from China like about everything else.
Craig, check the MSDS for a few favorite powders and you’ll find they have small quantities of anti-sour stabilizers, burn deterrents, non-clump coatings and other ingredients, and many of those additives are far more “exotic” than NC or NG. Disruption in supply of any of those ingredients will stall production of that powder.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #39
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

It is now 7 months later and this remains the latest news from Hodgdon on the powder shortage. A few things stuck out for me. They mention all the new gun owners being part of the extraordinary demand for powder then they go on to say that selling powder to ammo manufacturers is just a small part of their business. Which is it? Did all those new gun owners start reloading as well?

They go on to say that normal demand for powder would not be enough to support an expansion of their production facilities. How long and how much longer will there a severe shortage? With all the new guns and shooters is the old normal demand still a viable measure?

They say they shipped a record amount in 2020 and plan to ship even more in 2021. If so why does it hardly ever show up on shelves, why are decent size gun stores with empty shelves saying they have long standing and huge back orders and having back orders cancelled?

This is a link from the home page of Hodgdon Powder that I am referencing. "Where is the Powder"

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...ate-ver6-1.pdf

https://hodgdon.com/
Unread 09-14-2021, 09:57 PM   #40
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,473 Times in 333 Posts

Today I paid $13 for a dozen wings (on wing night). Why is the chicken becoming an endangered species? Perhaps I should stop hoarding reloading components and start reading Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post: