Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Marbles Game Getter 44 shot shells
Unread 09-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Marbles Game Getter 44 shot shells

Anyone ever loaded 44 shot shells for the Marbles Game Getter?

I have a 1908 Game Getter that I would like to shoot just for fun. Years ago I made up some shot shells for it but didn't write down the recipe for them, or least I can't find it, and I can't find where I put the shells to see if I put the load information in the box.

I have a few original loads and I'm going to break one down to see what the load looks like and to get an idea for wads and the amount of shot. I'm even going to load some round ball loads, again, just for fun.

So far the only loading information I've found is on the Marlin owners site and it appears it is for use in Marlin rifles. I'm thinking those loads would be too hot for the Game Getter.

I guess I can resort to black powder if I can't come up with smokeless loads with modern components.

Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 09-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

there was a good thread on the parker site a few years ago on the marbles game getter shell...maybe some body will pitch in for you...I have a little shotgun single barrel marked 44 cal..it will shoot the 2 1/2 inch 410 load....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

Not a lot of help here, but this is from the 1911-12 Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalog --

1911-12 Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. page xx.jpg

It does show that the shell for the Game-Getter has a lighter black powder charge than the shell for the .44 Winchester. My oldest Winchester catalog, 1916, shows the same thing.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 09-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #4
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

They also made a ".44 GG" round for the Gamegetter. It's a round ball .44-40 round. I have one in my collection. My grandfather had a Gamegetter when I was young - first gun I ever shot.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

The best info I've found for loading the 44-40/44XL/Gamegetter is this website. Using the Speer 44 plastic shot cups may not be historically accurate but is effective. I've had a heck of a time finding them in Canada though. Would make a great grasshopper gun.
http://www.fourten.org.uk/mwpre410.html
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

From what I've seen there may be two different pressure level shot loads in the 44-40/44 Game Getter category. The Remington/UMC catalog above mentions loads for the 73 Winchester, I have a partial box of them, and then the 44 GG loads. Right now the only GG marked load I have is a ball load. I guess I'll first try some black powder loads and try to get them over the chronograph without hitting my screens and them I'll start working up smokeless loads. I'm thinking Herco ought to be about the right burning rate if it proves to be too slow I'll try Unique. IIRC I used Unique in my earlier loads. Anyone have have a better idea or suggestions?
Unread 09-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sharpes “complete guide to Hand loading” 1937 edition has a chapter on loading shot shells for revolvers. 5 or 6 pages. No specific recipes, lot of method detail. He mentions the 44 Game getter. Most powders recommended no longer in production. One That’s still available is Red Dot.

He also recommend experimenting with different charges, patterning as you go.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Sharpes “complete guide to Hand loading” 1937 edition has a chapter on loading shot shells for revolvers. 5 or 6 pages. No specific recipes, lot of method detail. He mentions the 44 Game getter. Most powders recommended no longer in production. One That’s still available is Red Dot.

He also recommend experimenting with different charges, patterning as you go.

William

I have the 1949 addition and have read that piece. It seems he was directing his attention to loading for large frame revolvers that had been fitted with smoothbore barrels.

The early, model 1908, Game Getter is not a very strong action and so far all the loading information I've located seems to be for stronger revolvers and rifles. While the information on the loads may be safe for the Game Getter I looked for years for a transferable one and would hate to damage it by loading incorrect ammunition for it.

With all the experience and expertise here I'm hoping that someone has some direct experience in loading this type of ammunition.

Many thanks to all.