Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 06-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #21
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I learned a LOT from Bristers book.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #22
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,566 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rud Blumentritt View Post
So I've continued to research this topic and wanted to revisit the question. I found a 3" Winchester Longbeard XR lead turkey load that carries 1.25oz of shot at 1000 fps. Just curious from a recoil perspective how this would compare to a 2.75" pheasant load of 1oz at 1200fps. Am I right in assuming that nobody would be concerned about shooting the 1oz load, but (and I am certainly no expert) would the recoil be that different for a 1.25 oz load traveling 1000fps vs the 1oz load at higher velocity? Of course, my main concern in a repro is stock damage and I understand that recoil is the concern here.
I would not shoot any Winchester long beard shells in any Parker, check out the thread on this site where it most likely blew up a model 21.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #23
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

The powder charge and wad weight are part of the calculation for free recoil since they exit the muzzle. However, they are inconsequential compared to the shot charge and gun weight and muzzle velocity.

The shells you questioned have nearly 20% more recoil than a standard 7/8 load at 1200. Twenty foot pounds of recoil is substantial. It will thump with authority. Take everyone's advice and leave the 3" shells in the store.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #24
Rud Blumentritt
PGCA Member

Member Info

So if one needs to stick with 7/8 load in the 20 repro to best eliminate potential stock damage - what does one then shoot out the 20 gauge repro fitted with 16 gauge barrels?? Are they as bad a concept as the 3” chamber?
Rud Blumentritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #25
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

The potential of breaking the wrist of a Repro’s stock is... I won’t say overblown because it has happened and for various reasons, but I wouldn’t be overly cautious and cheat yourself from enjoying your Repro to it’s full potential.
Heck, if there is a lot of figure in the wrist or the grain is poorly set up for strength, do what Parker Brothers did... have a hickory - or some other material - reinforcing rod inserted theough the length of the stock and shoot it to your heart’s delight.

Brian, can you do that sort of work?

Regarding the 16 gauge Repro barrels - I think they’re a great idea and certainly fill a perceived need - that of a multi gauge, multi barrel gun. I normally shoot 7/8 oz. loads in both my 20’s and my 16’s but I would have no qualms about shooting 1 oz. loads in the 16 gauge barrels.

Let’s look at the Parker Reproduction “Steel Shot Special.”
Aren’t 12 gauge steel shot shells loaded to about max SAAMI specs, or close to it? Hou about wrist breakage on those guns? Do we hear anything about that, any more than we do about 20 and 28 gauge Repro stocks breaking?.... not that I’ve heard or read.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #26
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Charlie kills turkeys with a tight choked Parker .410. Shoots them in the head and neck after calling them close in .
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #27
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

A Steel Shot Special has about twice the wood in the wrist as a 20 gauge Repro. That might explain why we don't hear much about SSS wrist breakage.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #28
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

A straight grip Steel Shot Special is no different than other 12-ga. 1 1/2-frame straight gripped Repros, they have a 4 1/4" circumference at the wrist. A 20-ga. 0-frame straight grip Repro has a 4 1/8" circumference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
A straight grip Steel Shot Special is no different than other 12-ga. 1 1/2-frame straight gripped Repros, they have a 4 1/4" circumference at the wrist. A 20-ga. 0-frame straight grip Repro has a 4 1/8" circumference.
So, effectively, they’re the same size as far as strength goes...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #30
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
The potential of breaking the wrist of a Repro’s stock is... I won’t say overblown because it has happened and for various reasons, but I wouldn’t be overly cautious and cheat yourself from enjoying your Repro to it’s full potential.

Let’s look at the Parker Reproduction “Steel Shot Special.”
Aren’t 12 gauge steel shot shells loaded to about max SAAMI specs, or close to it? How about wrist breakage on those guns? Do we hear anything about that, any more than we do about 20 and 28 gauge Repro stocks breaking?.... not that I’ve heard or read.

Most Steel Shot Specials that I've encountered have been stocked with California English Walnut. In fact, I can't recall if I've ever seen one stocked with anything other than English Walnut. In my observations, a much greater percentage of 20 and 28-ga. Repros are stocked with Claro Walnut. I believe English Walnut with a characteristic of being straighter grained than Claro and is inherently stronger than Claro which may account for less incidence of breakage. Plus the fact there were about five times as many twenty and twenty-eights produced as were the twelves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post: