Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

An old Parker friend
Unread 08-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Default An old Parker friend

I just ran into an old friend at the local gun shop, Jerry Smith. No doubt many of you know him. He used to be called Mr. Damascus since he had an incredible collection of damascus guns, many of which are pictured in the Parker Story. He sold many of his guns but still has a good number of great early guns. I'm going to stop by his house and see if there is anything I need. He said everything is for sale. I'm sure I'll find something I need.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I bought two Parker’s from Jerry. Nice fellow to deal with honestly presented Guns at fair prices.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,353 Times in 4,425 Posts

I have not bought anything from Jerry, but have been tempted by several of his guns. He had a great early Damascus AH a few years ago that I really wanted, but was outside of my price range
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Tom, my C 20 that you admire came from Jerry Smith, maybe 15-20 years ago now. Jerry had an eye for quality and was collecting Damascus guns at a time when the popular wisdom was contrary.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Tom, my C 20 that you admire came from Jerry Smith, maybe 15-20 years ago now. Jerry had an eye for quality and was collecting Damascus guns at a time when the popular wisdom was contrary.

Wow! I didn't know the wood duck gun came from Jerry. He had some incredible guns including the AH 28 bore Damascus pictured in the Parker Story. We just talked about that gun this morning. He is a great guy and honest as the day is long. I'm really looking forward to looking over the guns he still has which is many. I expect my retirement funding will take a hit. He has a couple of D grade lifter guns that I'm dying to see.
Unread 08-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I forgot to mention that I have been buying Damascus for years. Back when I started the going price for a nice GH was $75. I remember a nice GH 20 bore Damascus with a Red Head case that the owner of the Pawling gun shop got in. It was $150 but I didn't have the money for it at the time since I was only 15 years old. Larry Paugh, the owner of the shop, didn't put it on the rack but kept it in the back waiting for me to come in. When I walked in, he said I have something in the back for you that you are going to love. I really wanted the gun but told Larry that I couldn't afford it. He said "take it and you can pay me a bit at a time when you have money". I got a job putting Sunday papers together at a local store and paid for the gun. Larry Paugh was one of the great old people in Pawling. He really wanted me to have that gun because he knew how much I would appreciate it. I still have it and will never sell it. It gets passed down in the family some day.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,836 Times in 2,363 Posts

Jerry told me of a gun he had while we were at a Louisville show some 16 years ago. After we got home I went to his house to look at it and came away with two!! Dangerous place!!
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,353 Times in 4,425 Posts

Hopefully, he will be one of the vendors at the Vintagers this year.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I bought a GHE (Damascuss) 16 from him several years ago at the Southern. It was a nice gun but on a one frame and I sold it for an O frame.
Unread 08-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,877 Times in 4,759 Posts

For decades, I lived across a mile of corn from Jerry. Even though I was as interested in Damascus as much as he was, Jerry and I never did any serious business, mostly because I was raising five kids and didn't have any money. I also thought he was doing a lot of buying and very little selling. Jerry and I lived in a little Maryland town named "Damascus" until both of us relocated fairly recently. We are still located very close to each other, but I try to avoid his dangerous gun room. A few years ago, I did find a gem of a custom rifle in his rack and bit the bullet. I still live just a few miles across the corn from Tom Flanigan. This is one hotbed of activity in the Parker world.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote