Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

"Gunner's" Parker
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default "Gunner's" Parker

Last year at the Upper pennisula SXS shoot a thought crawled into my head. I try hard not to let these things happen as they are usually detrimental to my fiscall wellbeing.

I had seen some nice Fox guns that were custom engraved and restocked and thought that while I have several custom built rifles I never have had a shotgun built just the way I wanted. Well once I recognized the flaw in Fun Schwe of the safe I talked to bob Strosin of RES Engraveing who had done the work on the Fox's and a plan began to take shape.

I needed a canvas for my project and a theme. i considered a Fox but at the end of the day I knew it had to be a Parker. I wanted either a 16 on an 0 frame or a 20 and as I have more than a few 16's I really leaned toward the 20. A VH or VHE that was mechanically sound with no pits in the barrels, no major flaws in any of the metal surfaces was a must. The theme part was easy I'd dedicate the gun to my little buddy Gunner. At the time this started he was 13 and dealing with some health issues. I hoped he'd make it through the winter last year so the ground would be softer digging, then he rallied for a while and in June I didn't think I'd make Hausmanns. While at the U.P. shoot this June I had called home and he wasn't well. I'm happy to report he is holding his own and with the grace of God will make it out for some birds with "his" gun this fall.

The gun part actually came about as a referral from a friend about a member who had a VH 20 for sale. I contacted the gentalman and told him what I was looking for and why. He was somewhat hesitant about a perfectly good original Parker going for a project. The deal was made and I bought the gun sight unseen. I hope he approves of the transformation to Gunner's Parker.

It was a typical VH with a PG, DT. I much prefer a straight grip so I purchased a trigger guard from Galazans. They also provided the twin Ivory beads that replaced the metal bead and the heel and toe plates.

I'll include a picture of Gunner in this post but Marc Ouellette graciously took over 100 pictures of Gunner's parker and he has picked out a few to share with you and will add them to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunner 002.jpg (493.4 KB, 27 views)
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Rich asked me to photograph Gunner’s Gun during the upcoming SxS shoot at Lapeer. Since Lapeer is my home club I knew that the light would not be on my side. Light is to photography as ammunition is to shooting. Poor light is like poor ammo.

I shot the following photos with the gun on the tailgate of my pickup. I think that I could have done better in a studio but overall these photos are not bad.

Rich with Gunners’s Gun

This is Gunner

Pheasants

Grouse

Woodcock

Wood

Nice Butt!

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Alfred Greeson, allen newell, Allen Peterson, Andy Kelley, Bill Holcombe, Bill Mullins, Bill Murphy, Bob Dombeck, Bob Roberts, Brian Stucker, Buddy Marson, calvin humburg, chris dawe, Chris Robenalt, Daryl Corona, Dave Purnell, Dave Suponski, David Dwyer, David Noble, Dean Romig, ForrestArmstrong, Frank Cronin, FRANK HALSEY, Gary Bodrato, Gary Carmichael Sr, George Davis, George Lander, Gerald Majors, Greg Baehman, GunnerGrilli, Jack Cronkhite, Jeff Christie, Jerry Harlow, John Havard, John Truitt, Josh Loewensteiner, Ken Descovich, Larry Frey, Larry Mason, Linn Matthews, Lloyd Bernstein, Michael Earls, Michael Murphy, Mike McKinney, Mills Morrison, Morris Davis, Paul Ehlers, Richard B. Hoover, Richard Flanders, Robert Rambler, rufus thames, Russ Jackson, scott kittredge, Stephen Hodges, Steve Kleist, Thomas L. Benson Sr., todd allen, Tom Pellegrini, Tony Ambrose, William Stewart, William Woods
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,181 Times in 489 Posts

Rich, she's obsolutely beautiful. I love everything about it. The engraving is gorgeous and that wood is a killer. Make me wish I was the dog!!
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,416 Times in 2,475 Posts

Would it kill you to smile? That gun is magnificent, you should be smiling ear to ear. It's everything you said it would be and more. Now I've got some special 3/4oz. loads that I can't wait to shoot in it. We need to see a picture of Gunner next to his gun. He's an amazing dog and truly deserves that gun. Wish I could say that about you. Thanks Mark, great job as usual.
Daryl
Daryl Corona is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,683 Times in 1,644 Posts

All I can say is, a a fitting tribute to a lifelong pal. A wonderful dog, beautiful gun, and you as a caring owner. I raise my glass to you! If humans had the love and affection of a dog it would be a much better world Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Well done!!!!!
I agree with Mr Corona. Please take a picture or two of Gunner next to HIS gun.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,729 Posts

Rich, Congratulations! The finished gun is everthing you said it would be. After seeing the frame at "The Hollow" I knew this gun would be very special. I love the checkering layout. Ya we need a few pictures of Gunner with his gun....
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,416 Times in 2,475 Posts

OK, it's an upgraded V. What's the new grade designation? It can't be a GH(Gunner H), so how about some suggestions? A COB Special? I need some help here.
Daryl Corona is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll see what I can do about getting the two of them together. My greatest hope is that I can shoot a bird over him this fall with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I refer to it as Gunner's Gun therefor a GG grade.