Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 01-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Haha I look at that gun at least once a day definitely a dream gun it checks all the boxes then some.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #12
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,470 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
The page before Cleveland writing about summer shore birds does show what I think is a sketch of a snipe but he doesnt mention it specifically. Would you happen to know of any books that are about the origins of what or why certain birds are considered game birds? Its something I have wondered about what makes a game bird a game bird and another species a non game bird?
I'd have to think more about any literature to specifically answer your good question. Remember early on, almost any bird (of size and worth of expending powder and shot) was considered a target. After seasons were established, when numbers dropped, seasons were closed (the early form of game management). What had developed into a tradition (shore bird hunting, for example), was lost. When seasons were re-established after the closures, what was deemed "game" was redefined through whatever processes existed in a state to enact laws (an exception were the migratory bird laws, which are federal in nature and established by treaty -- and an interesting topic in an of themselves). You can still see the evidence of our regard for what is game, songbird, and/or vermin in our current hunting practices. There was a time when, if you purchased a hunting license of some states, there was tacit agreement (and sometimes explicit) that you would shoot all hawks (and free roaming cats in some states). There's some fascinating history to examine in all of this.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #13
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

During the depression, my wife's grandfather shot robins with a BB gun as the only meat in the family's dinner. (Polish immigrant family with many kids)
Unread 01-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I'd have to think more about any literature to specifically answer your good question. Remember early on, almost any bird (of size and worth of expending powder and shot) was considered a target. After seasons were established, when numbers dropped, seasons were closed (the early form of game management). What had developed into a tradition (shore bird hunting, for example), was lost. When seasons were re-established after the closures, what was deemed "game" was redefined through whatever processes existed in a state to enact laws (an exception were the migratory bird laws, which are federal in nature and established by treaty -- and an interesting topic in an of themselves). You can still see the evidence of our regard for what is game, songbird, and/or vermin in our current hunting practices. There was a time when, if you purchased a hunting license of some states, there was tacit agreement (and sometimes explicit) that you would shoot all hawks (and free roaming cats in some states). There's some fascinating history to examine in all of this.
I figured it either came down to cultural norms or perhaps or species that are more easily repopulated were chosen as game birds. Im not sure about other states but I believe here we have two categories, non game animals and non game protected animals. I guess what I am looking for would be something on the cultural or social roots of modern hunting. Regulations aside locally we have game animals we dont hunt I suppose you could call its a custom passed down by the older generation.
Unread 01-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #15
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
During the depression, my wife's grandfather shot robins with a BB gun as the only meat in the family's dinner. (Polish immigrant family with many kids)
I have read stories that stated pretty much any animal was table fare during the depression.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2022, 10:26 PM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Her name looks like an explosion in a consonant factory, but is a strong family with the right values
Unread 01-21-2022, 11:21 PM   #17
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
good reading ....I have to get this book to if I can find it...old grover was quite a big man in size at least...charlie
Charlie:

The book has long been in the public domain, and is available for free (in digital form) here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3535...-h/35351-h.htm

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2022, 12:55 AM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

The Lefever 8 that was supposed have belonged to Grover was at the Southern last year . That was the first and probably only gun owned by a president that I’ll ever have in my hands . If I’m not mistaken the Colt 8 he owned is in the NRA mueseum . Everything I’ve read on the subject of Colt 8 gauge claims that was the only 8 gage Colt ever manufactured .
Unread 01-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #19
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I have read stories that stated pretty much any animal was table fare during the depression.
George Perry caught his long-time record-holding, 22-pound 4-ounce, Largemouth Bass in Montgomery Lake, Georgia, well into the Great Depression.

It was 1932. He may have considered the luxury of having his trophy Bass mounted. But what he did do was he took it home and ate it.
Unread 01-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #20
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
The Lefever 8 that was supposed have belonged to Grover was at the Southern last year . That was the first and probably only gun owned by a president that I’ll ever have in my hands . If I’m not mistaken the Colt 8 he owned is in the NRA mueseum . Everything I’ve read on the subject of Colt 8 gauge claims that was the only 8 gage Colt ever manufactured .
Would be interesting to know what the weight is on the Colt and how it compares to the Lefever as it is light for a 8 ga so perhaps he favored a lighter gun. It was Ian on Forgotten Weapons that says there were 2 but again I havnt seen a source for that claim. Though it could be possible there are instances of collectors having historical guns and never talking about it. Even without the Cleveland connection that Lefever is something special.