Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 12-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #21
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Keystone is not far on the map but it's pretty isolated using back roads. Palmyra is much closer to you and beginner friendly. Check their web site. Usually shoot on Saturdays
Not meaning to hijack the thread , but what’s the address of the place you put on the shoot before the Southern ? And if possible your date ?
Unread 12-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #22
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,411 Posts

April 9, 2022 Blue Ridge Sportsmans Club, Harrisburg Pa. Just a fun shoot, no trophys.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #23
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Ontelaunee has had bunker trap set up for decades. Alan Chubb was the driving force there. They hosted quite a few truly international events.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 12-27-2021, 05:39 PM   #24
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Quote:
Keystone Shooting Park is a world class international shooting facility located in South Central Pa. We have 3 bunker facilities within 1 hour drive of Harrisburg. Keystone, Palmyra Sportsman's Assoc., and Ontelaunee Rod and Gun club near Allentown. Keystone features international bunker, skeet, and Helice. It's fully automated and if your a member, you can shoot by yourself. The facility will open up with a smart card without anyone else being there.

I wonder if they would allow a Parker Hammer gun to enter? Bet that would raise some eyebrows! PGCA member Anthony Pilotti has won some Helice events there shooting an O/U but he's pretty good with his Parker hammer gun.
I read the shoot flier. Even though I am not a fan of shooting trap, I am intrigued at this event and will consider entering. I can see the Parker VHE live bird gun in action for all three events.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 12-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #25
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Hammer guns are welcomed.
Unread 12-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
April 9, 2022 Blue Ridge Sportsmans Club, Harrisburg Pa. Just a fun shoot, no trophys.
Not so bad 3 1/2 hours from me .
Unread 12-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #27
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,411 Posts

I know hammer guns are ok but Damascus barrels may not be allowed.

Mike, I'll bring popcorn.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2021, 10:41 PM   #28
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I believe they're harder to break as I've seen more than one bird "wobble" and nothing chip off. Usually those guys who insist on using #9 which is too small. I did well with Federal Gold Medal paper #7.5 in a Caesar Guerini Ascent choked IM/LF. I have one of Frank's Model 12 Trap guns, that's the deal right there, then for giggles shot it with the same loads in a Browning Gold sporting an XF Turkey choke. That smoked 'em. If there was enough interest I'm sure Binghamton could host a fun one day Int'nl Skeet/Trap event for SxS this summer and have lunch catered.
The birds contain a higher clay content and are fired (baked) at a higher temperature than standard trap & skeet targets in order to survive the increased acceleration rate and higher launch velocity of international trap machines. A bird may "wobble" from the blast of a shot charge passing it, but a truly erratic flight path is the result of a trap malfunction and in registered competition should be called a "no target."

Anyone shooting #9 shot in bunker competition has already won a medal for pissing into the wind: the key to breaking long-range targets in bunker is a high velocity load of high-antimony content # 7 1/2 shot, plated shot is even better. The Italians brought over regulation competition loads for the annual Grand Prix at Ontelaunee that were within the 7/8 oz. limit for shot weight, but approached the velocity of steel shot waterfowl loads using an Oehler chronograph at the range. The notorious "Melior Meteors" clocked out at close to 1400 fps at 1 meter from the muzzle. "Fast targets, fast shot."

Frank's chokes and XF tubes won't help you if you're using Wally World ballistic profile ammo; this most demanding of all shotgun games requires specifically designed ammo for reliable and consistent results in competition.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2021, 11:04 PM   #29
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
The birds contain a higher clay content and are fired (baked) at a higher temperature than standard trap & skeet targets in order to survive the increased acceleration rate and higher launch velocity of international trap machines. A bird may "wobble" from the blast of a shot charge passing it, but a truly erratic flight path is the result of a trap malfunction and in registered competition should be called a "no target."

Anyone shooting #9 shot in bunker competition has already won a medal for pissing into the wind: the key to breaking long-range targets in bunker is a high velocity load of high-antimony content # 7 1/2 shot, plated shot is even better. The Italians brought over regulation competition loads for the annual Grand Prix at Ontelaunee that were within the 7/8 oz. limit for shot weight, but approached the velocity of steel shot waterfowl loads using an Oehler chronograph at the range. The notorious "Melior Meteors" clocked out at close to 1400 fps at 1 meter from the muzzle. "Fast targets, fast shot."

Frank's chokes and XF tubes won't help you if you're using Wally World ballistic profile ammo; this most demanding of all shotgun games requires specifically designed ammo for reliable and consistent results in competition.
Agree 100%. I
Unread 12-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #30
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Ontelaunee has had bunker trap set up for decades. Alan Chubb was the driving force there. They hosted quite a few truly international events.
The "golden age" of the bunker at Ontelaunee was essentially from 1990-2001. There were usually 4 major International shoots per year, including the Grand Prix of America, which drew shooters from Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Australia and New Zealand. Michael Diamond, Olympic Gold Medal winner in International trap in Atlanta in 1996 and Sydney in 2000, along with the ladies' All-England champion from Wales joined us in 2 successive seasons.

Alan Chubb always put on a first class event program; everything started ON TIME, there were awards for every event class, and the machinery and layout were as good or better as any other facility in the US, which at the time, numbered less than 30 in the continental US. The facility still hosts registered shoots in the beautiful valley in New Tripoli PA, about 30 minutes northeast of Allentown PA.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: