Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Unread 12-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #11
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Hillsdale is now the headquarters for several of the Olympic shooting teams. They have 5 bunker fields and 5 International skeet facilities. As Andy pointed out there are 15 traps in the trench at a bunker facility. At $5K/trap, that's $75K just in traps at each facility. Add in computer controls, etc. etc. and you're beginning to get into real money.

The birds are thrown substantially faster than American trap birds. As a result, standard clay targets won't withstand the launching pressure, so the birds are stouter (I think the same is true for International skeet). I don't know how you could make it more difficult.

Here's info on the facility. https://shootingsports.hillsdale.edu/

If any of you have youngsters who show aptitude as competitive shooters, check out Hillsdale. A conservative college which takes no federal money ( which pi**es off Washington)and as a result is never shown n any national rankings. They have won the National shooting competition about the last 6 years, and offer scholarships for shooting.

Last edited by John Dallas; 12-26-2021 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: More information
John Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #12
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,984 Times in 565 Posts

A friend who shoots compitition International Trap and shoots at Brooks and Binghamton brought this event to my attention. I believe it to be unique in that it is exclusively a S/S event. He will be attending to compete and I may go as an observer.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,232 Times in 12,375 Posts

So if the clays are harder to withstand the increased torque of the trap I’ll bet they’re harder to break with typical American Skeet loads…

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

From a 2009 posting
In true International (Olympic) competition, the following quote from the ISSF rules will apply.

9.4.3 AMMUNITION
9.4.3.1 Cartridge Specifications
Cartridges permitted in ISSF competitions must meet the following specifications:
• case length after firing must not exceed 70 mm
• shot charge must not exceed 24.5 g
• pellets must be spherical in shape
• pellets must be made of lead, lead alloy or of any other ISSF approved material
• pellets must not exceed 2.6 mm in diameter
• pellets may be plated
• black powder, tracer, incendiary, or other special type cartridges are prohibited
• no internal changes may be made which will give an extra or special dispersion effect, such as the inverse loading of components, crossing devices, etc.

However, I believe a relaxation of those rules have been allowed in the USA for some shoots, such as local and regional competitions. I think in those cases, a full 7/8 ounce load can still be used. When it gets to the team selection competitions, I believe the ISSF rules kick in and the true 24 gram loads are required. I don't have access to a USA Shooting rule book to verify this for sure, but thats the way it was a few years back
Unread 12-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #15
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I have always shot Skeet with low gun (at my waist) regardless of the gun I used. Never broke 25 but a lot of 24’s, 23’s, 22’s etc.
The course of fire in American vs International skeet is slightly different . As well as the targets being cranked up faster . I dunno if they use a harder rimmed bird but I’d not be surprised. Low gun at American skeet is fun and like yourself I’ve shot plenty decent scores although I usually base how good it was out of 100 or atleast 50 .
Unread 12-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

What would really make this Intresting was if you had to use the same gun no changing chokes for all three events .
Unread 12-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #17
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,466 Times in 971 Posts

I believe they're harder to break as I've seen more than one bird "wobble" and nothing chip off. Usually those guys who insist on using #9 which is too small. I did well with Federal Gold Medal paper #7.5 in a Caesar Guerini Ascent choked IM/LF. I have one of Frank's Model 12 Trap guns, that's the deal right there, then for giggles shot it with the same loads in a Browning Gold sporting an XF Turkey choke. That smoked 'em. If there was enough interest I'm sure Binghamton could host a fun one day Int'nl Skeet/Trap event for SxS this summer and have lunch catered.
Unread 12-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #18
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Keystone Shooting Park is a world class international shooting facility located in South Central Pa. We have 3 bunker facilities within 1 hour drive of Harrisburg. Keystone, Palmyra Sportsman's Assoc., and Ontelaunee Rod and Gun club near Allentown. Keystone features international bunker, skeet, and Helice. It's fully automated and if your a member, you can shoot by yourself. The facility will open up with a smart card without anyone else being there.

I wonder if they would allow a Parker Hammer gun to enter? Bet that would raise some eyebrows! PGCA member Anthony Pilotti has won some Helice events there shooting an O/U but he's pretty good with his Parker hammer gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #19
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,297 Times in 629 Posts

Chuck,
I wondered if you might have some input on this venue, it is not that far from home but I've never been to see this setup. I've been to Dalmatia before for other events but never for this.
I also would like to try International bunker shooting, which of the three you suggested would be the easiest venue to try this?
Thanks,
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #20
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Keystone is not far on the map but it's pretty isolated using back roads. Palmyra is much closer to you and beginner friendly. Check their web site. Usually shoot on Saturdays
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post: