Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

My First Gun Show of the Year
Unread 03-05-2022, 09:28 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Default My First Gun Show of the Year

I went down to the next town this morning for a gun shiw put on annually by Newmart Productions. It opened at 9 but I didn’t want to stand in the cold in a long line so I waited and got there at about 10:30. That turned out to be a mistake because I still stood in line for 35 minutes.

I chatted with Newman for a few minutes when I got inside but quickly got to the business at hand and began to peruse the tables. There were fewer vendors of classic old guns and in fact Dick & Craig (Wildwoods Guns of China Maine) were conspicuously absent as were a few other regulars at that show. But the purveyors of black weapons and handguns and knives, and of course the jerky dealers were represented in force.

There were scant few side by sides only being represented by 6 Winchester 24’s in one vendor’s rack - 3 twelves, 2 sixteens and a 20.
Another vendor had a Winchester 21 and a ratty belgian hammer gun. No Parkers, Foxes, but there was one lonely LC.
Tha star of the show IMO was a Lefever 12 gauge E. It was pretty nice and it had that wonderfully executed setter on one side and pointer on the other. A wonderful gun priced at $2750.
All in all it was a bit disappointing but still a decent way to spend a few hours on a Saturday. First picture is on the way in to the end of the line. Second picture is the home stretch after being in line for 20 minutes. Last picture speaks for itself.

I did make 1 purchase though which I will show in another thread sometime tomorrow.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 07:33 AM   #2
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Craig is always quite open about the market having moved beyond old sxs. Maybe thats part of his pitch but I dont know, its hard to imagine that line formed because people were looking for old guns which take niche ammunition. Still you cant bag a big one without getting into the woods.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Aaron, in the last several years at shows where Wildwoods Guns are set up I haven’t seen Dick at all. Is he well? Is he still in it or has he retired?

I get it though, I know that most of those folks aren’t there for classic SXS’s and those who are, like myself, more and more these days are usually disappointed.

The Internet has taken this pleasure from those of us who want a hands-on experience.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,668 Times in 1,860 Posts

I went to the Louisville show this past weekend on Friday afternoon only. Not sure how the attendance turned out Sat & Sunday or even how many exhibitors did finally show. I do know that when I departed that evening there were a lot of empty tables. I did manage to run into several Parkers. A pair of 410's as in the pic, a VHE 28 gauge (26") that had gone silver, a VHE 28 gauge (30") that I did not actually see as the Owner told me about it, upon hearing the price there was no need for me to stick around while he looked for it. Yikes The gun of the day for me was a GH 16 gauge with 32" damascus barrels, PG, SFE, DT. Sadly it was lacking condition but honestly I could have lived with it had the barrels been in better shape. Didn't like what I saw inside them. Odds are this one will be at the Southern. All in all a better show for me than they have been here in the past years in terms of seeing interesting guns even though I came home empty. That's alright 2022 has already been costly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VH 410.jpg (514.1 KB, 5 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Nice!
Did the .410’s come home with you Randy?
What was the price on the hidden 28?

Unread 03-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,668 Times in 1,860 Posts

No they did not, price was fair just not in my wheel house. The 28 asking price was 37.5K and it did not sound negotiable.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #7
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Dean, that looks like the show that we ran into each other at a few years back. Is it? I recall that year there were a few tables with vintage SxS's, including like you said, Wildwoods. They were not in attendance at the show in Vermont that I went to a few weeks ago either. I had seen them there in the past.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean
Ive never met Dick, though I moved up here in 2016. I believe he is spoken of in past tense with regard to the business, I do not know about him beyond that and I have no specific knowledge one way or other. Hands on is the way to buy a gun you would like to shoot well. I was in a midcoast gun store yesterday and the counter help laughed when I asked if they had any used guns, I didnt even mention sxs.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
Dean, that looks like the show that we ran into each other at a few years back. Is it? I recall that year there were a few tables with vintage SxS's, including like you said, Wildwoods. They were not in attendance at the show in Vermont that I went to a few weeks ago either. I had seen them there in the past.

Heck Steve, I don't remember which show we ran into each other at but it could have been at the Shriner's in Wilmington, MA or maybe the show in Manchester, NH or even Marlboro, MA. I didn't make it to the Marlboro show this year and I don't know if Wildwoods was there either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

I don't ever remember seeing a Wildwoods gun that was remotely of interest to me. Maybe they bring better guns to shows than they mention in their ads.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: