Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-21-2021, 10:42 PM   #11
Shane Jennings
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think most 700s are 1 in 9.25" twist. A 180gr bullet should be stable with that, no problem.

Other stuff to check: make sure action screws are tight, make sure scope rings and bases are tight, scope itself - any chance it's faulty?, stock - is it free-floated? What about the crown (at the muzzle)? Any dings?

If all that is good, then you just gotta find the load that your particular rifle likes. Which Nosler bullet are you using? Partition, AccuBond, etc.?
Shane Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2021, 01:17 AM   #12
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

John I realize that this does not answer your question concerning a good load for your rifle, but a few years back I experienced an accuracy issue with my 300 wsm. Normally this rifle shot a clover leaf 3 shot group at 100 yards.
It went to shooting a 2+ inch group at best.
I checked all of the usual problem areas and did not find anything.
I cleaned the bore good enough I thought and still no change.
I took it to a friend and gunsmith, and asked him to put a second set of eyes on my rifle.
He called me a week later and asked when I cleaned the rifle last. I told him just recently.
He then told me there was a lot of copper fouling and he had cleaned it out. I as very surprised to hear this.
I said I would be anxious to see if it made any difference. His remark was oh it did. I took it to the ranch and shot it this weekend and it’s shooting under an inch.
Dang if he wasn’t right. It was back to a fantastic shooting rifle once again.
This may not apply to your rifle, but in my case I leaned a valuable lesson on using a good copper solvent and taking the time to clean it properly.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #13
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Phil and Shane - Thanks for the thoughts on the gun. Screws are tight, and I cleaned the barrel with copper solvent after shooting. Got a few dirty patches as you would expect, but nothing out of the ordinary IMHO. The search continues
Unread 11-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

FWIW, when I work up loads for my rifles I'll start with 2 or 3 differetnt bullet weights. I always make a varmint load and a deer load so I will use the lightest bullet I can find for the caliber and a heavier bullet for deer. Start with published data and make about 5 or 6 loads with different powders and a single bullet weight/style. I'll shoot them in 3 shot groups at 50 yards then 100 yards. I'll tweak each load after the initial testing if it looks promising. Usually I can get down to 2 or 3 loads that will fill the bill. Then I'll play around with seating depth using a seating gauge to find exactly how far I can go with my bullet until I contact the grooves/lands. It's not a complicated process and it's great to do in the winter when I don't have 50 other things to take care of. Let's just say this process works well enough that I can pick up any of my rifles and have confidence in their ability to make things assume room temperature.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
3006 Load
Unread 11-17-2021, 12:57 AM   #15
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 3006 Load

Excellent thread. thanks to all that took the time to post up on this Rifle issue, it made this thread a much enjoyed good read.Does any one here remember the pet 3006 load of Michael Petrov that involved IMR 4895 Powder??. The 3006 is a favorite Caliber for me for over 60 yrs. I do not have new or modern rifles. My preference is the Model 1903 Springfield, Teddy Roosevelt shot one as did Ernest Hemingway. Both of these gunners took their rifles to Africa and the caliber gave a very good account of itself. Gary Cooper and Clark Gable also shot the 1903 Springfield in 3006 Cal. My preference is NRA National match Sportsters equipped with the Lyman (??47s or 48s??) Peep sight. I also shoot a Sedgley 1903 Springfield. I will be 82 in the spring, and I can still shoot the sight, but not as good as when I was younger. I do not recall ever shooting the kind of groups that you folks are talking about. I have found that wheather you are shooting Coyotes, Deer, Elk, or moose with a 3006, that BULLET PLACEMENT is more important than bullet weight. A good 150 GR. bullet works just fine if placed in the right spot, however I do like the 180 and 200 Gr. for the larger game. Lots of good Powders for this caliber, 3031 4064, 4895, 760 Win. Just to name some. Also an unlimited supply of good bullets in all sizes. I learned a long time ago that if you can not make a rifle shoot, sell it and get one or more that you can make shoot for you. Good Luck.
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

we had a browning 7 mag today shooting all over the place cleaned the barrels real good and it went to shooting dead on again...who would have thought that cleaning would have done so much good....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #17
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Another thing that’ll cause stringing is allowing the bbl to get too hot. I’m guilty of that too but I just want to pull the trigger often and fast!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!