Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 09-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #11
Joshua Allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
That is a nice original example!

I would replace those firing pins(Brian Dudley has them). I have an early lifter that had some home made offset firing pins(like this one appears to have) that stuck out not quite that far. The right side was longer than the left side was close to normal. At any rate, as I was checking the gun over I put in a shell and closed the gun(I don't know why, I think I just wanted to see if it would chamber). By some miracle nothing happened. A few minutes later I was looking at the shells I had used and there was a big dimple in the primer on one of the shells. How it did not go off I have no idea. I was in my basement by myself, but still I was lucky and not smart with this. I only share this(as I am ashamed I did it in the first place) so that it doesn't happen to anyone else who might not be as lucky,

As for the lifter, it would be worth getting checked out. How are the bores? I have a similar lifer in the 10000 serial number range a 10 gauge grade zero without checkering. I like that it is so utilitarian. You have a nice honest Parker there...

Edit: I might be guessing on those firing pins being homemade and that's why they sticking out so far, but that picture brought back the memory of my close call...

Also are the locks rebounding? They look rebounding so I still don't know why those firing pins are out so far, I would take them out and likely replace and put in new springs....Good Luck!

They are rebounding. Bores are good, a smidgen of pitting. I'm sure there are 0 springs installed, the pin is free floating at the moment.
Joshua Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua Allen For Your Post: