Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 08-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #21
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharysmith View Post
Andy,
You got yourself a beautiful girl there. I bet you are looking forward to the upcoming season. Setters are beautiful dogs but often wonder how much time is actually spent on grooming? I am a GSP guy myself. As with a lab there is no coat maintenance after pounding the uplands for a day. Can Dean or Harold and whomever else give me a honest opinion of a few minutes brushing after a hunt and so on? How about how often they are sent to the groomers each year?
Zachary: Trim the feathering, have baby oil on hand and a horse comb and its easy peasey..... Never sent one to the groomers.... thats what electric trimmers are for.

Just sayin.....
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #22
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,474 Times in 3,043 Posts

As with so many good questions like this, there are lots of variables in an answer. There are maintenance issues with any dog, and setters have their own. We groom our dogs in the summer and at the beginning of the bird season -- in the summer to help keep them cooler, and at the beginning of the bird season for the heat...AND the burrs, which are more prevalent then than later. Some breeders have developed setters with coats that are easier to maintain. Those are field bred dogs for sure.

If you have a long haired dog, there are issues that go with that. Bruce's baby oil treatment (we use a tangle-free hair treatment on occasion) is a very helpful solution (I guess that would be a "hack" in today's lingo, eh, Bruce?). Grouse hunting in Northern Minnesota presents very few problems. SE MN is another story, and early in the season it can be a chore de-burring the dog. In our Missouri-Iowa-Kansas covers cockleburrs are a real nuisance when hunting around wet or poorly maintained crop fields. Cocklburs are wicked(!), and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We sometimes have to cut those out, especially when then get under a leg against the chest. It does take time. We did have a Gordon that would skirt stands of cockleburrs to keep out of them, but most dogs just barrel on through...and regret it later. Short haired breeds are not immune to the cockleburs, but they don't get them nearly as bad as the long haired breeds.

I've hunted with guys who have GSPs and Pointers, and there are places where some of them won't go into the briars and canes that our Gordons bust on through. A heavier coat in those conditions is a plus. But I've also seen short haired dogs that would just bull on through any cover...and then not be able to take super cold weather, especially snowy, cold weather for more than a short hunt.

This is an often argued point, but in the end there are advantages to every breed under certain conditions, and for those who love a particular breed, we are willing to overlook any drawbacks...and often put up with the things that are a nuisance.

(Below is an example of early season SE Minnesota conditions -- before and after. This was a pretty mild case of the small burs that are so prevalent in those coverts. I don't have similar pictures of cockleburs because we are too busy getting them out to take photos!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130926_095605_609.jpg (504.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130926_102204_477.jpg (490.9 KB, 1 views)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2021, 09:51 AM   #23
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,416 Times in 953 Posts

Great responses everyone. We get her in about two weeks. Luckily I have a full size stainless steel dog grooming station in my garage so she'll spend some time there for sure. I'm not sure what any dog would look like if I were to take trimmers to her. Guess it's time to look at Youtube videos. As is usual anymore, can't get her into a groom here, they don't have the staff to accept new clients. Don't get me started on that.
Unread 08-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #24
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,677 Times in 2,634 Posts

Our Setters can be filthy after a hunt. Funny thing, I load them into the truck and by the time we get home they are as clean as beforehand!! Another hack for “hitch hikers” is to spray them with Pam cooking spray before a hunt.

We also found, by research, that grooming the dogs during warmer weather does not keep the dogs cooler but actually will raise the surface temperature of their skin.

Almost time to “Hunt ‘em up!!”
Mike Koneski is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 08-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #25
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Our Setters can be filthy after a hunt. Funny thing, I load them into the truck and by the time we get home they are as clean as beforehand!! Another hack for “hitch hikers” is to spray them with Pam cooking spray before a hunt.

We also found, by research, that grooming the dogs during warmer weather does not keep the dogs cooler but actually will raise the surface temperature of their skin.

Almost time to “Hunt ‘em up!!”
Mike maybe they're clean because you spray them with cooking spray and they like the taste of it?? I'm still trying to figure out if you're serious. If I spray that dog with Pam my wife may skidaddle. (Hmm..I'll get a few cans...)
Unread 08-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #26
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,677 Times in 2,634 Posts

Andy, I don’t spray them with anything. I know guys who do use “Pam”. The thing I use is Musher’s Secret. I put that on their toes/pads if we’re in icy/wet snow conditions. I do run our dogs in Cuga vests. That helps protect them from punctures and hitch hikers.
Mike Koneski is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 08-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #27
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Pam works great - a very proper lady who ran Springer spaniels put me onto it when I got my setter long ago. Especially important to apply liberally inside the front shoulders, belly and of course the ears. Another tip she gave me for removing burrs was to buy a cheap plastic styling comb, the kind with a long slim spike handle. You run the spike behind or under the hair tangled in the burr and lift straight up; it comes up and out quite easily.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #28
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
Pam works great - a very proper lady who ran Springer spaniels put me onto it when I got my setter long ago. Especially important to apply liberally inside the front shoulders, belly and of course the ears. Another tip she gave me for removing burrs was to buy a cheap plastic styling comb, the kind with a long slim spike handle. You run the spike behind or under the hair tangled in the burr and lift straight up; it comes up and out quite easily.
Do you need to bath the dog afterwards or do you live with a greasy couch and floor, or does it wear off over the course of a day? Honest question : )
Unread 08-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #29
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

xxx
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2021, 09:29 AM   #30
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
There is NOTHING better than an English Setter!!
Except maybe Two !
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal Sheets For Your Post: