Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

The Letter
Unread 05-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #31
Walter Sippel
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default The Letter

Well, okay then, here is the research letter in the attached file for my Parker. Thank you Chuck for doing it so quickly.

And this is what I know, the gun is the Wiley gun. The Wiley name is inscribed on the gold shield on top of the wrist. The measurements of the stock match those on the second page of the letter. The Damascus barrels and the Laminated Steel barrels match the description.

The information left by my grandfather indicates that he purchased it from a “Wiley” or perhaps a Wiley estate. According to his notes, the gun belonged to Orange Wiley, who died in 1926, and the gun was purchased shortly after Alma Wiley’s (Orange’s widow) death in 1959. A newspaper clipping of Alma’s obit is in with the gun. I was a kid then and paid attention to the gun but not the important background information. And Grandpa’s notes indicate that the gun was originally purchased from Parker for $80.00 and the fitted case was an additional $8.00.

There are some discrepancies in the history tho’. According to various genealogy sites, Orange Wiley would have been a teenager, born in 1863, when the gun was purchased. Since $80.00 then would be over $2000.00 now I doubt that Orange could have afforded it. I can find no family link, other than the name and general location, Ohio, between Orange Wiley and T.J. Wiley. T.J. being the owner of note in the research letter.

To the letter: T.J. Wiley was a Tanner and Currier (seller of hides) and would have been in his mid 40’s in 1879. He probably would have been able to afford the gun. C. Sangden was a merchant. W.S. Paker was a physician. They all lived in Piqua, Ohio, and were close in age. (My wife is a Jack Russel Terrier when it comes to researching lineage.)

That’s what I’ve got. Other than the impression that T.J. was kind of hard on the gun. Although, it is in fine shape now and locks up tight.

What do you fellows know?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCF_000004.pdf (771.0 KB, 36 views)
Walter Sippel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walter Sippel For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #32
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

It's just a shame we don't have the original order for this gun because it would have told us the price of the gun. It's a high grade gun. My guess according to the 1874 price list is that it either sold for $150, $200, or $250 which are the top 3 guns Parker produced at that time. The reason I asked you about the Drop at Heel is because that entry is very faded and it looked to me like it was 2 1/8" which would have been very unusual for so early of a gun. The "1" and "7" are very similar and can be misinterpreted when faded.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

IMO the gun is either a $200 or a $250 quality judging by the full “teardrops” on the sides ot the bolsters. That would have been the predecessor to the B (5) or the A (6) but not the $150 quality as that would have had the abbreviated teardrops.

$80 as a purchase price, if when new, would seem to indicate a VERY large discount.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #34
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Without the original order for this gun, there is no way to determine the price paid. Walter, is it possible that your grandfather bought the gun for $80.00 and paid an additional $ 8.00 for the case? I doubt that Parker would discount that amount but who knows. I agree with Dean that the gun was originally a $200 or $250 dollar grade gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #35
Walter Sippel
Forum Associate

Member Info

"And Grandpa’s notes indicate that the gun was originally purchased from Parker for $80.00 and the fitted case was an additional $8.00."

I can hear Grandpa laughing now. I will keep his notes because they were his, but so far the only accurate part of them is that the gun is a 10 gauge.

Well, he was working with what he was told and what was available in the 1960's.

You fellows are helping a lot and are much appreciated.
Unread 05-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #36
Walter Sippel
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe he paid several hundred dollars for the gun. There was much quiet talking about money when he bought it. I do remember that.
Unread 05-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #37
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Thank you Walter for sharing the pictures, story, and letter about a very unique and interesting gun. That's what makes this forum such a great place to visit.