Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #31
Tom Archer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentlemen:
I am very pleased to see these favorable comments on the LC vs. Parker Challenge; and thanks to you all. And to answer some of your questions surrounding how this event came into being, I'm always looking for ways to keep this event fresh and interesting by changing things up a bit; and it occurred to me during the 2015 event that an 8-bore event, if it could be cobbled together, would be lot's of fun. And knowing Jim Hall owned an 8-bore Parker, asked for his opinion. From there I went to Mills and learned he also had an 8-bore Parker; and from that conversation we determined that we'd discuss the idea further in January, 2016 when we seriously begin planning Event details.
To make a long story short, Mills and I worked with Bill Kempffer and Rick Hemingway to create an abbreviated format; then we began the really difficult part, convincing members to loan us the use of their rare and valuable 8-bore Parkers and Smiths. The next obstacle was ammo, and PGCA member Jim Hall; and LCSCA member Jim Stahl agreed to provide same, jointly loading approximately 450 rounds. Jim H. loaded his shells on the light side with 1 7/8oz shot, while Jim S. loaded his a bit heavier with 2 1/2oz shot; with all shells being loaded to vintage appropriate pressures. All the Jim H. shells were clear Win hulls, while the Jim S. shells were loaded in both clear Win and green Rem hulls; the Rem hulls being nicely roll-crimped, with all clear hulls from both sources being star crimped. Each gentleman's shells were kept in separate containers; and when individuals signed up, each participate was given 3 lite and 3 heavy loads to keep the playing field "level". This worked well until the shoot-off, as by that time we had no more Jim H. shells so that the shoot-off was exclusively with the heavy 2 1/2oz loads. As I've noted contributors of Parker 8-bores have already been recognized; the LC loaners, with LC eights being much rarer than Parkers, were contributed by Jim Stahl with two examples, and the other by Mike Harris.
Mills was extremely busy at the PGCA booth and I'm not sure if he had a chance to witness the event personally; but I was there and can testify that I've never witnessed an event that seemed to be more fun to watch, or which generated so much enthusiasm among the participants. I got the biggest hoot from watching skinny little ole John Davis shoot; that big ole Parker was really knocking him around, but he didn't care. Wish you all could have seen the smile on his face afterwards! We actually had a couple of women shoot the event; but the most memorable shooter was an elderly and frail looking gentleman who asked if he could shoot. I don't think this guy was a member of either organization, but saw no harm in his shooting and let him sign up. He shot the event under the direct supervision of Rick Hemingway for safety concerns; and in returning the gun afterwards said the following "I'm 80 years old and have always wanted to shoot an 8 gauge; thank you so much for allowing me to do this, 'cause now I can scratch the 8 gauge off my bucket list".
During event planning Mills had commented that the PGCA had some really good 8-bore shooters and would "dominate", so I should expect a PGCA shoot-off. And yes, this short event lead to a 6 person shoot-off and I apologize for getting so pre-occupied that I failed to write down the names and organizations represented; but there was an LC shooter or two in the bunch. So the shoot-off commenced with traps being reset to increase degree of difficulty, and the format was 2 true pairs from station one. When the smoke cleared, three shooters were tied with 2 x 4 scores; JD Shank for the PGCA, John Liles of the LCSCA, and one other shooter whose name I beg someone recall. From that point the shoot-out moved to station 3, which was adjusted to create a really tough true pair; miss and eliminated. John Liles shot first and broke both clays with an unbelievably long and lucky shot on the second bird. The unknown shooter (whom I believe was also a PGCA member) shot next; breaking the first clay and dropping the long bird. The final shooter was JD Shank representing the PGCA, who remembered the safety slide a bit late and dropped the pair. I don't think John Liles had ever won any shooting event before this event; and the last time I say John he still had that smirk on his face; but he won one heck of a nice unique and one-off trophy!
As to the event itself and it's future, we had a total of 54 shooters; but I honestly thought we'd have 60, so I fell a bit short of my goal in that regard (during sign-ups it was clear many folks were intimidated by the mere thought of shooting the 8-gauge). But the biggest disappointment to me personally was that we had far more LCSCA shooters that we did PGCA shooters. I don't have the final tally, but at one point my tally showed 38 total sign-ups with only 16 of those individuals being from the PGCA. I was literally begging for PGCA entrants; and actually encouraged individuals with joint memberships to shoot for the PGCA.
Bottom line, after the expense of the trophy, $710 will be divided 50/50 between the organizations; much of that fees total was to be paid the Jim H. and Jim S. to cover their costs for providing ammo, but each individual graciously donated their portion of the ammo cost so that each organization received an unexpected $355 to apply towards the cost of providing this event (an expensive event by the way, as the tent rental alone is almost $2K). And as you see and speak with these two "Gems", please don't forget to thank them for their generosity; as had they not furnished ammo, this event would never have been possible!
As to the future of an event of this type, the only way it would be possible is for the willingness of gun owners to share their rare 8-bores, and for the ability to obtain ammo. Mills and I have discussed continuing this event; and although we want to keep that possibility open, am not sure something of this type can be possible every year. This is why we discussed the possibility of a 410 event; but, subject to time and space limitations, we can create other events using a 10 or 20-bore. We could also do something with the 16-bore; although John's 16-bore Thursday event was so successful that it will most likely be a permanent Thursday afternoon event with top shooter award next year, we'll know more later. The main point is that you let Mills and me know what you want and we'll be caught trying to get it done; but by the same token, if we're expected do the work to put an event together, then please be sure to come out and support that effort.
Finally, 2016 marked the 13th year of the LC/Parker Deep River reunion, and marked the first year that Mills was completely in charge of managing the event for the PGCA. I've told him personally, but will now state it here publicly; I've never met a finer gentleman than Mills Morrison. The PGCA is fortunate to have him as your Team and Challenge Event Manager; and having been there and witnessed him in action, can tell you that he worked like a dog to get everything done and make this event flow as smooth as possible for the PGCA; and indirectly for the LCSCA. Unless someone has been directly involved in putting an event of this size together, and was then actually involved in managing and tracking the event; it is impossible to understand and appreciate the time and effort that is required. I thank each member of the PGCA who has recognized his contribution; and have offered him encouragement, as his was and is no easy task. Mills and I have already begun discussions on ways to improve the event going forward, and on ideas that will serve to make the Challenge a bit more enjoyable and memorable for everyone in 2017. And as Team Manager for the LCSCA please allow me to express my sincere appreciation to Mills, and to all the wonderful individuals from the PGCA that I have come to know; and who continue to support the Challenge Event year after year. When this event was started in 2004 I'd not the foggiest idea it'd be the success it's been for the past 13 years; but reality is that interest in the Challenge has shown no signs of diminishing, so who knows how long this great event can continue? Obviously it can survive forever provided it continues to enjoy the dedication and generous support of those wonderful individuals from both our respective organizations who have made it what it has become. Personally I know I can't be the LCSCA Challenge Event Manager forever; but whether I'm involved or not, it's my hope that the annual LC/Parker Deep River reunion continues into perpetuity.
Tom Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #32
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Thank you for the kind words, Tom, and those feelings are certainly mutual. L.C. Smith has a real asset in Tom Archer. It is a lot of work, but watching this event grow and to see people enjoying themselves is very gratifying.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #33
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Mr Archer and Mills,

Thank you for all of your hard work. It is men like you and those before you that have turned this stuff into more than just an event. Thank you again for all of your hard work. Anything you guys come up with and do for next year and the many years to come will be awesome and much appreciated.

All my best,

John
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #34
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

i was not there at the 8 ga shoot but believe me i was there in heart..my thanks to tom archer and mills for being so invoved with this special event the 8 ga shoot...the 8 bore has always been the favorite of mine and will be till only GOD knows...really liked the part of the 80 year old shooting the 8 ga..its a dream of mine to shoot a lc smith and a lefever 8 ga some day...it being i have shot the parker 8 ga many times...and the guy that won that special 8 ga trophy i envey you...my hats off to those fols that supplied the guns and the ammo for this event my thanks to all....i hope the 8 ga event continue in the future....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: