Notices

Unread 02-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #21
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
My Father's Woodsman Target that he said got in 1929, and carried all over, is marked WOODSMAN on the left side of the frame and has the checkered oval on the spring housing.

Attachment 60120

Note it on his belt just behind my head on this Minnesota Partridge hunt in 1950.

Attachment 60121
So it would appear the changes didn’t happen on the same gun, at the same time. Maybe you can call it a ‘transition ‘ gun.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #22
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Rich’s gun has the heavy barrel. Finding that holster is not that easy. (But he has one on the way)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
Whitefish
PGCA Member

Member Info

Saw a few Gamegetters at a show last weekend that is put on by the Marbles Plus Club in Rapid River here in the UP. They still hold their prices as they are a great addition to the collectors of Marble Arms items. I have been doing that show for about fifteen years and every year at least one will show up.
Henry McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #24
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Ours was a .22/.410 with the folding stock that also shot the round ball .44-40GG cartridge made especially for it. I have a few of those cartridges in my "stuff" here. We had the leather holster with our Gamegetter also. The gun went to a family member in Canada sometime in the mid 60's, never to return. Can't imagine the Canuck govt looks fondly on such a gun. I sure would like to have it as my airplane gun. Am thanking Edgar here for the info that they had been removed from the BATF list of evil guns. I had not heard that and am glad it happened as it seemed beyond absurd. As usual, Edgar proves himself the inveterate purveyor of invaluable minutiae.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Edgar I really appreciate your help in getting the holster for my Match Target

Regarding the list of evil guns by the BATF I have a Harrington & Richardson 410 single shot pistol. The called it The Snake Charmer. I don't remember how long the barrel is but it's not more than about 10 inches IIRC. The gun control act of 68 made it illegal. My ex father in law a retired Detroit cop gave it to me.
Unread 02-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Edgar my holster came today and the pistol fits like a glove in it.
Many thanks
Unread 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rich,
I believe that H&R shot pistol was called the "Handy Gun". A buddy of mine in South Carolina had one that his father got from a Dupont plantation when the plantation was being sold for one of the golf courses being built, his father was the overseer of the place for the family. It even had the original holster and shot only 2-1/2" shells. The "Snake Charmer" was an 18-1/2" shotgun with a shortened stock to be compliant with the GCA 68, made I think, in the 80's. I think it was made by H. Coon Co. and the metal was stainless steel.However, your gun may have been named "Snake Charmer" by your ex father in law.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #28
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Jack that makes sense as the barrel isn't very long. I've tried to sell the thing a couple of times and no one will touch it due to the GCA of 68. It is chambered for the 2 1/2 inch shell IIRC. It looks like a big single shot break open pistol.
Unread 02-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #29
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

I collect anything Mable's have the Gamegetter 18 inch barrel with the wooden grips with holster.Dennis do you have the holster for your Gamegetter? J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 02-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #30
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by James J. Roberts View Post
I collect anything Mable's have the Gamegetter 18 inch barrel with the wooden grips with holster.Dennis do you have the holster for your Gamegetter? J.J.

James,

No unfortunately I do not have the holster. The friend that I got the Gamegetter from had an absolutely mint 1908 with the original holster, the remains of the two boxes of ammunition ordered with the gun and the sales receipt from Montgomery Ward. I only bought this one as I just didn't have the funds, a whopping $750.00, for the better one at that time. As I recall he charged me $150.00 for this one and I believe the transfer fee was $5.00 at that time.

The same friend had a registered Ithaca Auto-Burgler 20 gauge double that I could have bought for $500.00 but again I just didn't have the money.

I did buy a 1849 Pocket Model Colt from him but let someone talk me out of it a couple of years later. I replaced that Colt this past year at about six times the amount I sold the other one for.

I'm headed to the gun show in Baltimore next month and hope to find a nice Civil War musket to bring home and who knows what else might tempt me perhaps another Parker.