Notices

Finally!
Unread 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

Default Finally!

I have long wanted a set of genuine Sambar stag grips for my First Series Colt Woodsman. Some years back I ordered a set on ebay but they were way too thick and they totally changed the look and feel of the pistol. Fortunately the guy had a return policy. Then I tracked a set of really nicely aged ones that ultimately went for more than I paid for the gun; couldn't justify those!

Around Christmastime I found another pair on the bay, as nicely matched as any I've seen; very similar texture on both sides. The seller graciously supplied me with the measurements, which were just a very few thousandths over that of my OEM wood grips. Still, they were expensive, and I was kinda gun shy from the first pair I'd tried. One day I checked the listing and he was offering 20% off, free shipping, and a 14 day return privilege; couldn't pass that up!

Long story longer, I love them! They're beautiful, the gun looks great and feels really good in the hand; in fact I think the slightly thicker grips improve the feel, for me anyway. So here she is at last; the faux stag grips she had been wearing went on ebay the next day...

Unread 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

That looks great
Unread 02-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Those do look nice!

I had a set of stag stocks on a Colt single action army, 44 special years ago. Traded them off for a set of factory stocks because they tried to peel my hand every shot with hot Keith loads. Looked great, but hurt too much.
Unread 02-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well these are pretty smooth. Plus I won't have to worry about that with a .22 and low pressure loads.

Relatedly, anybody with stag grips is pretty proud of them. A friend got a SA Colt Buntline with a set of what he thought were pretty poorly matched and fitted stag grips. That was fine with him because he wanted to put a set of walnut grips made from a special tree from his father's back yard on it anyway. But he sold the stags the next day for I think he said $450!
Unread 02-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,399 Times in 3,074 Posts

Those are handsome grips. Your gun is actually a First Model, Second Series. From 1915 to 1927, they didn't say 'WOODSMAN' anywhere on the gun, until sn34000. The Sport model, like yours, came out in 1934. The long barrel version wasn't called 'First Model' until 1934
There are a lot of those in top bureau drawers in this part of CT. I always said I want one of those, and If I get rid of five more, I'll have one.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

According to Bob Rayburn's book which is pretty much the definitive guide for these pistols, it's a First Series Sport. The Sport Model was added to the line in 1933. This one is c. 1938 according to the serial number list in Bob's book.

The flip side...

Unread 02-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

great looking pistol the new stag handles really dress her up...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 02-04-2018, 03:11 AM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The first handgun I ever shot was a Woodsman with my grandfather in 1957. The first rifle I shot was with my other grandfather and was a Marbles Gamegetter, also in 1957.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,399 Times in 3,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
According to Bob Rayburn's book which is pretty much the definitive guide for these pistols, it's a First Series Sport. The Sport Model was added to the line in 1933.
That makes more sense. The First series, was only the 6 1/2", and had the early style hammer spring housing, which was a checkered oval, The second series added 'The Woodsman', and changed the spring housing. the checkered oval went away and was replaced by the straight serrations. These were the first ones designed for high speed ammo.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Your lucky to have a holster with the gun. I bought a Match Target several years ago and haven't been able to find a suitable holster for it. It slops around in one I use for a Ruger MK1 target pistol.