Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Adirondacks- Grouse/Woodcock Hunting
Unread 12-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Adirondacks- Grouse/Woodcock Hunting

Since the 1930’s our family had a 1860’s Camp within a 3000 acre private club in the Adirondack’s that was mostly used for fishing, deer hunting and snowmobiling. Along the lake there are 7-8 other families with same interests but none of them bird hunters. We sold the house in 1994 and I resigned my membership in 2011 so longer have unlimited access to the property. My question to everyone is what grouse/woodcock experience do any Board members have bird hunting in the Adirondacks. The place I’m referring to is in the SW corner of the Adirondack Park between Herkimer and Speculator, NY. It’s about an hour Northeast from Ilion, NY off Rt 8 in Hamilton County. The forrest surrounding the Club is virtually untouched and very mature but certain sections have been logged over the last 10-20 years with new birch, aspen and beech growth appearing. Plus, wild berry bushes are everywhere as are springs and marshy areas. Would love to hear back with people’s thoughts because I’d like to ask permission to hunt the Club for a few days in 2018. Thanks.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Irregardless of any opinion you receive here from what you have stated I would seek permission.
Unread 12-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I belong to a similar club in the Newcomb area perhaps 30 miles northeast of your area. The habitat you describe is exactly what we have as second growth fills in logged-over areas. There can be lots of grouse but it can be hit or miss. In years where beech trees are producing lots of nuts, that seems to be where grouse will be in the early season. Once the beechnuts are gone, they seem to be where aspen, birch, and hemlock are mixed.

There are woodcock around where there are alder thickets along rivers, lakes, and small brooks, but native birds are spread pretty thinly. When flights start coming through and you can hit it right, there can be lots of them around.

The best way to find out is to go, so I would encourage you to seek permission. For me, whether there are birds or not it is still a great way to spend time.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Made the phone call and I’ll be there in early November.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Good for you. Please let us know how it goes.

Tags
grouse, hunting, woodcock