Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unmarked Hammer 12 Ga. Shotgun
Unread 11-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Rocky Nivison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Unmarked Hammer 12 Ga. Shotgun

I have my great - great granddads rabbit ear 12 gauge shotgun without a manufacture stamp only a serial number of 2361 and an A with fish looking emblem underneath. I need to find a missing hammer for it. You know who made this one? Please contact me at rockynivison@hotmail.com or call 512-484-6464. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rabbit Ear Shotgun.JPG (91.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Rabbit Ear Shotgun (3).JPG (88.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Rabbit Ear Shotgun (4).JPG (77.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Rabbit Ear Shotgun (8).JPG (94.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Rocky Nivison; 11-12-2011 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Needed a ? Mark
Rocky Nivison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,611 Times in 2,667 Posts

This is not a Parker shotgun.

You may have better luck at some other gun interest site that you may find through Google.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Rocky Nivison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
This is not a Parker shotgun.

You may have better luck at some other gun interest site that you may find through Google.
Thanks,
It’s not like anything I can find but it’s in perfect shooting condition and I would like to restore its hammer if I can find one.
Anyone interested in hammer guns may know what it is.. I’ve seen everything Google has to offer and nothing comes close. I’ve had 5 replies from Cabalas gun libraries and they don’t know what it is and I have sent photos to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. yesterday.

Last edited by Rocky Nivison; 11-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: added info to reply
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,611 Times in 2,667 Posts

To be frank about it, the gun looks to be a low cost hardware store gun of which thousands were imported from Belgium and sold to major hardware distributors. They sold for maybe $15 to $20 when quality guns sold for $50 and up. They shot loose after a while and the barrels were of questionable quality and did not withstand higher pressure loads. They were seldom marked with a manufacturer's or distributor's name, as were better quality guns. Your desire to fix up your forebear's gun is admirable but unwise in my unsolicited opinion.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Rocky Nivison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
To be frank about it, the gun looks to be a low cost hardware store gun of which thousands were imported from Belgium and sold to major hardware distributors. They sold for maybe $15 to $20 when quality guns sold for $50 and up. They shot loose after a while and the barrels were of questionable quality and did not withstand higher pressure loads. They were seldom marked with a manufacturer's or distributor's name, as were better quality guns. Your desire to fix up your forebear's gun is admirable but unwise in my unsolicited opinion.
This one is as tight as the day it was new and very good barrels. I have 2 grand nieces in their early 20s and would like to pass it on to the first son if they ever get married. It would be his great-great-great-great-great granddads __________ rabbit ear 12 gauge shotgun. I would like to fill in the blank if possible. I can have a gun smith make a hammer if I can’t find one as the manufacture and date of manufacture is actually more important. Grand-Grand-Grand-Grand-Grand is priceless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Nivison For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Hi Rocky,

Your granddad's external hammer shotgun may be a new but it is still has no manufacturer's marks to our knowledge. Bruce is probably correct at a 99 and 44/100% chance!

Without markings no one could tell you who made it. Sorry.

If you want to have it repaired and give to the please do so.

If you like, go to the Double Gun Shop forum and ask the members.
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Let us know if anyone solves this mystery.
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Rocky Nivison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ouellette View Post
Hi Rocky,

Your granddad's external hammer shotgun may be a new but it is still has no manufacturer's marks to our knowledge. Bruce is probably correct at a 99 and 44/100% chance!

Without markings no one could tell you who made it. Sorry.

If you want to have it repaired and give to the please do so.

If you like, go to the Double Gun Shop forum and ask the members.
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Let us know if anyone solves this mystery.

Thanks Mark,
And I meant to thank Bruce for being frank, sorry Bruce and thanks for being frank it helped me to know where it probably came from and where to look next. If nothing else I can say it is probably a Belgium shotgun. This shotgun was well used during the depression and when the trigger was pulled it was to put meat on the table. It was loaned to many people and the hammer was lost by a friend of my granddads while hunting rabbits. It’s incredible that it is in like new shooting condition. I think it may be a good quality cheap Belgium shotgun. I will most defiantly let everyone know whether it is solved or not.
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Rocky: When you say "unmarked" does that include under the barrels at the breech end? Any stampings in that area may be helpful to your cause. There are some master gunsmiths who could return this close to its original state. Of course that would cost but then, as you say, great-great-great-great-great might be worth a few grand for sentimental reasons.
Cheers,
Jack
Unread 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Rocky Nivison
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
Rocky: When you say "unmarked" does that include under the barrels at the breech end? Any stampings in that area may be helpful to your cause. There are some master gunsmiths who could return this close to its original state. Of course that would cost but then, as you say, great-great-great-great-great might be worth a few grand for sentimental reasons.
Cheers,
Jack
Thanks Jack
No markings at all anywhere accept an A with a fish underneath the A and the number 2361 stamped on every piece of the gun including the wood. There is another 2361 under the barrel at the breech end. I may have it restored but will probably leave it like it is, looking very old and used..
Unread 11-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

rocky i would have me a hammer made for the gun and if a used hammer of same type turns up i would then put it on....enjoy your great grandfathers gun..a treasure it indeed is.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote