Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

A family Parker
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default A family Parker

Hello, Friends,
I am showing you this Parker exactly as it came into my temporary possesion: In pieces. The gun belongs to the estate of my cousin. Another cousin would like to purchase it from the estate. We are seeking advice on several issues, including fair market value to the estate in its current condition, advice on parts which might not be original or might be missing, etc.

If I exceed the photo limit, I will re-post in smaller, follow-up posts.

We have a size 3 frame. Serial number indicates it was made in 1881, which is curious, because it's a grade 1. Other info on the site suggests that grade 1 began in 1882. I believe it's a ten gauge. Barrels are marked "laminated steel."

In its current condition, it looks like a pig, but I think it could at least be made into a wall-hanger, and perhaps even a restored gun.

Good things about it: Most parts are here, but we are probably missing a few screws. Locks show very nice case colors, but they don't show in my photos. Barrels show little surface rust on the outside. They are a plum brown color. They ring like church bells when lightly tapped. Rib is secure. Steel laminations are clearly visible in barrels, although they don't show in my pictures. Barrels have lots of wall thickness and pits aren't too deep. Stock is nice walnut with a bit of figure.

Bad things about it: Bores show some pitting, as we would expect, and a bit of rust in the chamber area. Extractor is currently frozen in a partially lifted position. Its shaft is not bent. I believe it's frozen due to rust, and could be made to move again. Internal lock works show some discoloration here and there--perhaps rust, perhaps just funk. Triggers move, but do not operate smoothly or easily. Butt plate is toast. Dog face is almost completely worn off, and a chip is missing from toe. One butt plate screw appears to be a replacement.
One hammer screw has a damaged slot. I do not see a precise wood to metal fit in the stock inlets and fittings. I expect a Parker to have a much better fit of wood to metal. Stock might be a replacement, but it is old. Or, it might have been sanded down at some point in history. I see "hairy"mold or mildew in the lock inlets. There is a very small dent in the left barrel, and some kind of dried (formerly liquid) funk on the right barrel. Most metal parts are HEAVILY painted with a clear finish of some kind--varnish or lacquer.

Please advise on a few things: First, fair value to the estate in its current condition. Next, immediate cleaning of issues such as the mold or mildew in the lock inlets. Last--and I know this is whimsy--if it were yours, would you make it a wall hanger or perhaps look into restoring it more fully? We realize it might not be worth that kind of expense.
Many thanks to all,
Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg action-bottom.jpg (98.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg action-top.jpg (81.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg barrel-flats.jpg (178.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg barrell-dent.jpg (135.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg breech-face.jpg (268.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg butt-plate.jpg (139.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg comb-top.jpg (48.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fore-end-1.jpg (75.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg inlet-right.jpg (112.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg stock-left.jpg (68.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg stock-right.jpg (80.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg trigger-group.jpg (66.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg trigger-grouop-2.jpg (63.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg water-table.jpg (157.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg locks-1.jpg (117.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg locks-2.jpg (120.2 KB, 4 views)
Patrick Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Patrick: It's not worth much, $100 at best, in that condition. It would cost too much to restore ($1,000 +) and then it would only be worth a few hundred at best. If most of the parts are there I would reassemble it and hang it on the wall. IMHO

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

looking from the practical side of things GEORGE IS RIGHT... but me i have a love for old rusty things...first old gun not worth much tops 250 dollars as it is...if it was mine i would clean up all the parts as best as i could free up the extractor with oil and lightly use asmall hammer and brass punch to free it...and use care doing this...i would measure the bores after cleaning and if it passes i would finisg cleaning the rest of gunk and crud off the gun.reassemble her if any missing pieces hunt them up and start shooting this old gun again...i think the old gun is worth saving it just needs a good clean up and then go hunting with it...dont try to make it new the cost would keep you from enjoying it..but this gun can be saved for very little cost... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

I'd agree with Charlie, if it is a piece of family history, and the cousin is willing to clean it up, more power to him. Cash value is minimal as is, but reassembled and assuming the barrels are safe (they should be checked by someone who knows doubles) tell him to go buy a few boxes of RST shells and enjoy it.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

In your fourth photo the barrels look very bad do not think you could shoot them in this state, but as Charlie says I never send a Parker to the scrape pile so to speak, I would try to save her and just find parts to make it a shooter but believe you will have to find a set of barrels, Damascus will work as long as it is a three frame, Parkers are like old dogs just cause they are old and decrepit, don't mean you get rid of them, think about the work they did when they were younger, dog and gun, my two cents Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, Guys. I suspected it would not be a "paying" proposition to do a restoration. The "as-is" price range is very helpful, too. My cousin will probably ask me to re-assemble the gun, so please give me some advice about cleaning.

1. Best way to clean the inlets of that hairy mildew? Alcohol or weak bleach on Q-tips?

2. Best way to clean the mystery coating off metal parts? I'm inclined to experiment on the barrel bottoms under the forearm with some lacquer thinner.

3. Barrels look worse in my photos than they do in person, but there is a small dent as shown in photo #4. I think that could be fixed for cosmetic purposes, but I don't have the tools to do it. I'll tell my cousin to take to a pro if he's interested. Most of what you are seeing in terms of graininess and texture is not rust--it's the coating.

4. Okay to polish rust off lug, flats, etc. with very fine abrasive paper? I make guitars and mandolins as a hobby, and I'm very good with small sanding blocks. Please advise about other, preferred methods.

5. Does anyone make replica hard rubber Parker butt-plates? I'd think this would be a relative easy thing to do with modern molding technologies, and will be surprised if no one does this.

6. Just curious--do you guys think this is the original stock? Would it have been checkered at one time? I can't tell if it has shrunk or has been sanded and refinished years ago.

7. Any other advice you'd like to share.

Many thanks to all,
Patrick
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Patrick, I agree with the others about keeping the gun. I think it might be a shooter depending on if someone with Parker Gun experience would examine the gun for safety. As for cleaning I typically use a toothbrush for the stock recesses. The metal can be cleaned up remarkably well without damaging it by using some type of light oil and 0000 steel wool. As for the stuck extractor put some oil on it, as stated above, and let it work itself in for a few hours. It will probably free itself up. I think with a good cleaning you will find you have a remarkably good gun. Replacement buttplates can be found.

Good luck with it and please let us know what happens.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,390 Times in 3,073 Posts

The value of what you have to start with is minimal, but the fact that it all appears to be there is good. You'll never get out of it what you need to put into it, but when has that ever stopped me? I don't go into these projects with the first hoot as to what I 'could' get out of it.
Just take a look at some of the threads on this site, such as George's C grade restoration. There are well respected people used by the members who do this sort of work daily.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Patrick, to my eye it looks to be an original stock. I have enlarged both pictures and see no reason to call it a replacement. In fact, I think I can see one partial digit of the serial number stamped in the flat of the wood where the trigger guard strap sits in the wood. That is where Parker bros. stamped their stocks to identify which gun they belonged to in the manufacturing process. Carefully clean that area and let us know what you find.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi, Dean. You are correct. I hadn't noticed the number there. I have not cleaned it yet, but can actually see that number more clearly than the one on the water table. Both numbers match. I mis-read the serial number previously. I mistook "292" for "232"
in the first three digits. The correct number now places the gun in 1883. That, of course, works out better for the introduction of the grade. The lack of checkering and the rounded tip on the pistol grip had me confused. I've never seen a photo of a Parker with an un-checkered stock. That particular inlet has also been painted with the mystery finish. Should these inlet surfaces be finished or bare wood? Seems to me they should be unfinished or only very thinly finished.
Many thanks for the info.
Patrick