Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Relative strength of damascus barrels
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Relative strength of damascus barrels

I own and would enjoy shooting low pressure loads (RST or equivalent) in two Parker GH shotguns, one 12 and one 16 gauge. Other than the excellent information provided by Sherman Bell, has any other "objective" work been done regarding the relative strength of damascus barrels as compared to nitro steel barrels? Assume that both my guns barrels are pit free and dent free and the bores haven't been "cleaned up." I am aware that there are different qualities of damascus steel and that may make such a comparison very difficult.
Buddy Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

well, I have always thought the fact the British proof house still nitro proofs damascus barrels to be a statement of strength.

I believe the critical questions would be which damascus barrels and which fluid steel barrels. I think the "nitro" steel name was a marketing tool

one or the other is not always stronger as a flat rule.

if your barrels check out with a reputable 'smith who knows old guns. Get some RSTs and enjoy, that is what went through these tubes last night

Unread 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

as with all shotgun barrels, wall thickness is the most important safety issue. have your barrels checked by a knowledgeable smith and then shoot with confidence...

also, keep in mind that the most fragile part of any old gun is not the metal, but the wood. so keep your loads light and your screws tight!
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Relative Strength of Damascus Barrels
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Relative Strength of Damascus Barrels

I appreciate the responses. Your thoughts are about in line with my own feelings. The 12 gauge is indeed a #2 frame and the 16 gauge is a #1 frame. Both appear to be completely original and souond but, as you suggested, I'll get the thicknesses of both checked out by a knowledgeable doouble gunsmith before I begin shooting them and I'll not sjhoot anything other than low pressure shells in them. Again, thanks.
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Harrison View Post
I appreciate the responses. Your thoughts are about in line with my own feelings. The 12 gauge is indeed a #2 frame and the 16 gauge is a #1 frame. Both appear to be completely original and souond but, as you suggested, I'll get the thicknesses of both checked out by a knowledgeable doouble gunsmith before I begin shooting them and I'll not sjhoot anything other than low pressure shells in them. Again, thanks.
There is long and interesting thread on the subject of shooting nitro powders in composite barrels on Shotgun World. Bob S. provides an interesting perspective on the matter.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=259371
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,252 Posts

https://docs.google.com/document/edi...0KNY8WMIMkdKr0
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gentlemen: I suspect that I am not the only member interested in the "strength of damascus barrels" question. The information you have provided is very helpful and I appreciate you going to the trouble of sharing it with us less educated in the matter. Good shooting!
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Buddy, the act of shooting a type of barrel that "everyone" considers sheer scuicide and bordering on lunicy takes some convincing. It took years for me to work into it. I shot black powder and they were wimpy. Ross Seyfried published an aritcle on shooting Damascus with low pressure loads (5,000 psi) with IMR 7625 powder twentyfive or more years ago. I tried it and haven't looked back. The Double Gun Journal was published and in some of the first issues John Brindle (SP) wrote some Nitro for Black articles. The short and long of it was to keep pressures below 8,000 psi and you will be fine. I have not had any of my Twist or Damascus guns checked by a gunsmith for shootability. Most don't want the liability and will poo poo the idea. If the gun appears to be "not messed with" I will shoot it. I don't like pitted barrels however they come from a time of mercury primers and hydroscopic powder residue and pitts are almost expected to be found. Very light pitts are an indicator the barrels have not been reamed or skim bored therefor not messed with. I shoot sporting clays with a 12 gauge 1881 Lifter Parker with Twist barrels. I use a 1 oz load and WST powder for pressures in the 7,400 psi range. This load mirrors Winchesters Xtra Lite load at about 1180 fps. I shoot a 10 gauge Lifter Parker Twist with IMR 4756 powder. My advice is load up with RST shells and enjoy your Parkers.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for you input Harry. That's the route I plan to take.
Parts is parts
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,348 Times in 303 Posts

Default Parts is parts

I'm out the door heading to the gun club.
New to me 1904 DH 12 ga. Damascus.
Checked by my gunsmith (who couldn't wait to shoot it)

12ga Lead Shot 1 oz.
18gr. Clays, Win. 209 Primer, Windjammer Wad
5,800 PSI 1180 FPS

I hope to return with all of my "Parts"

Bobby
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post: