Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Rifle conversion tubes
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,670 Times in 4,635 Posts

Default Rifle conversion tubes

I am kicking around the idea of maybe building a Parker Double rifle. Anyone know of a good source or company for Rifle tube inserts?
I am sure this idea might fizzle out, but it was something I wanted to explore the possibility of doing.
I am sure that a 20g must be a reasonable starting point, but would be nice if I could start with a 12g. or a 16g. to keep the starting expense down.
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

I have a friend who has already done this. Very similar to the design of the remington rifle barrel insert/ auxilary rifle barrel company design offered in the 1870 to 1900.

He will have them out for show and will be shooting them at the Vintage Cup in Sept.

Try pac nor. They will make pretty much anything you want.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I sent Pac Nor an inquiry.
However, I also got thinking about the possibility of Rifled 20g. tubes in a 12g. gun to make a SxS sabot shooter. I have also asked Briley what they think about the idea and if they can help. We will see what they come up with.

In NY, we cannot hunt deer with rifle in every county. The area of the state that I live in, we can only use a shotgun. This weekend I killed a buck with a 20g. sabot at 60 yards and I could not believe the accuracy of the sabot in that situation. And I have not had great luck with foster slugs out of a smooth bore at the range. The Sabot gun that I was using was not mine, it was an Ithaca 37 of my grandfathers.

I love shooting SxS guns and have gotten very used to them. So that is what is giving me the crazy idea of joining the best of both worlds.
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,213 Times in 3,268 Posts

Brian

I will be interested in seeing how you handle the regulation issue in converting a shotgun to a double rifle. Where would you intend the bores to converge?
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,361 Times in 12,409 Posts

How would you regulate the barrels?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,374 Times in 2,456 Posts

Brian,
I know of a 20ga. rifled slug gun being built on a Fox action and basically having these tubes sleeved onto the monoblock. It will be a totally custom job with new wood, leaf sights and I think he mentioned set triggers. So it can be done- good luck with your project because I think that would be great to bag a deer or whatever with a SxS.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill i will have to find my info but theres a place in alascka that makes tubes from about 16 inches to any lenth you would want...i have a 22 magnum insert in the right side barrel of a 16 ga german drilling...it is only about 10 inches in lenth..it has adjustments to put the bulletto point of aim in the scope in it...so its possible some body should have 20 ga sleves with set srewsto put it to some point of regulation... if you dont find anything i will try to find info.... love this idea of yours.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have expermented with handloaded round balls in a 16 ga. The accuracy with .021 choke was very impressive. 2 round balls in the same hole dead center at 35 yds. Everygun seems to shoot a little different so you need to pattern for sure. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My goal would be accuracy at ranges of 50-75 yards. Not sure how to handle the regulation. I am just trying to start by finding some sources to be able to do what I want and then work out the details. Inserts may not be the way to go. Maybe a custom made barrel set with sabot tubes might be best. Anyone know of some good barrel makers? I can explore that option too.

Ideally I think I would like to have this just be an extra barrel set for one of my existing guns instead of starting with a whole new gun. So that way I could have the usual bird barrel and also the scoped sabot/rifle barrel. Maybe my 1 frame 12g. P grade would be a good candidate.

I agree that being able to comfortably hunt big game in the woods with a classic SxS would be awesome. But, to me, using foster slugs out of a smooth bore is just too much leaving it to chance.
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,927 Times in 4,782 Posts

I have been looking at the Hastings 20 gauge barrel blanks on my friend Ken Buch's website. kebcollc.com They are cheap, 30" long, fully rifled, and made by Verney Caron, a great company. Ken also sells rifled choke tubes in several thread patterns, six to eight inches long, also cheap and made by Verney Caron. Depending on the projectile diameter, the choke tubes may provide good accuracy. As far as regulating goes, I know how I would regulate the choke tubes.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote