Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Restored GHE 12ga
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Matt Natoli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Restored GHE 12ga

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some advice and wisdom on a Parker GHE 12ga that was recently offered to me for sale. It is a 12ga GHE with a beavertail forearm and single selective trigger. The gun has been 100% restored and looks brand new. I called Turnbull and was told that there records go back to 1999 and they do not show it in there records. I also called Larry DelGrego,however they needed the name of the owner and date that it was restored to find the record. The current owner is not the same as the owner who had the restoration done so I may have to bring the gun to DelGrego to have it looked at. Well long story short, I am trying to determine what is a fair price to pay for this gun. I have never ever considered buying a restored gun before, but when I saw this gun I fell in love with it, it is simply amazing.

My question is; if DelGrego did do the restoration how does it effect the value and how do I determine what a realistic value the gun has? It is a 12ga, beavertail forearm, single trigger, 1 1/2frame, 28" bbl. serial no. 1528xx and is 100% restored condition.

I have emailed the owner to ask for a file of pics and as soon as I recieve them I can try to post a few here for your input. As I previously stated, the gun looks like a brand new gun, absoultely beautiful! This is my only pic at the present time taken from my cell phone.

Thanks in advance. I would really like to own this but am a little scared of spending the money on a restored gun

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GHE.jpg (494.5 KB, 15 views)
Matt Natoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

maybe its the light, but i would like to see the contour of the frame from a better angle.

Turnbull stamped a "D" in a circle I believe on the water table on all but the earliest restores ( I have a Fox with out it - but made sure I kept the paper work)

with the way these things change hands, i am surprised DelGreco doesn't keep a serial number list, but that is entirely his choice

only a few guns in that range are in the book - if you post the whole number one of us might be able to see how it started out

in the end - most thing are worth what you are willing to pay - compare it to retored guns on the auction sites.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

He only sent you one picture? We need to see the forend lug, the barrel legend, a clear view of the trigger, the full serial number, and a full view of the wood to determine value. It is a nice looking gun from what we can see.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Matt Natoli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill,

I only have this one pic on my cell phone and am waiting to get emailed the pics we took when the owner showed the gun to me. I hope to have the pics up later today or tomorrow for everyone's review. Thanks for the reply.

Matt
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Matt Natoli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just recieved a few more pics. I asked for the requested pics to be taken. As soon as I recieve them I will post them here.
Serial No. 152816
Thanks again guys for the info, boy I sure do like this gun. My wife is gonna have a fit if I end up buying this! Oh well...
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GHE(1).jpg (494.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg GHE(2).jpg (514.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GHE(3).jpg (511.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GHE(4).jpg (496.6 KB, 12 views)
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

Gun has Remington repair codes, but I don't think those colors were done at Remington. However, the trigger and forend could possibly be Remington modifications. The ejectors could be original, depending on your PGCA letter and a look at the inside of the forend. If that gun is reasonably priced and works, I would be writing a check by now.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Does the gun have the correct BTFE forend Loop, and the bolt in the front of the forend?

It is important to remember that most any Restored gun will not rank higher than "Very Good" condition in a typical value ranking system. So if you have a values book, use that as a guide. Anyting above that is what someone is willing to pay.

Another very important thing is to determine if the options such as BTFE, ejectors and single trigger were original options on the gun. Any BTFE should be subject to skepticism considering that it is easy enough to make one up on a standard splinter forend iron.

All things on the gun such as the wood, bluing and color case work looks top notch. The Colors are a bit bright for a Parker I think, but it was done correctly and the variation is all in the process and who is doing it.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

That gun looks like an early Turnbull job to me.
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I have an A Grade Fox that was advertised as a Turnbull restoration but no records to prove so. It has very similar case colors. They are not "Foxey" but they sure are pretty!

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,177 Times in 485 Posts

It does not look like Del Greco work but a nice gun either way.