Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Warped forend ,
Unread 12-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Warped forend ,

Hi
I made a new forend (wood) for my lifter gun. It took a ridiculas amount of time but I was shooting for perfection. The inlet job on the barrels was spot on. Finished it up put it on the rack and was pleased with the result. Shot skeet with it yesterday and noticed the front from the key forward has lifted almost 1/8 of an inch ! And it has a slight twist, a little higher on one side than the other.
The wood is well seasoned very figured wood. I cut it out of the same wood I made the stock out of. I don't know what happened but I'm guessing when I cut the slot for the keyway in possibly I relived some kind of internal stress and it warped. Or possibly the whole thing would have warped if it wasn't for the key and the iron holding the rear in place.

Frustration and disappointment would be an understatement for me at this point.
I put a clamp on the tip securing it to the barrel , but I'm sure when I release the clamp it will just spring back to where it was.
Any ideas how to fix this ?
And more importantly , how can I prevent this from ever happening again ?
I'm not giving up but won't do anymore woodworking until I understand this, I have a tremendous amount of time invested in this.
The wood sat in a friend's basement for years with both ends sealed. The stock from the same block of wood has no issues.
Thanks for any suggestions, Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

the only thing i can think of is moisture

a basement may not have been the driest place to store wood

when you remove enough to leave the thin piece that is a forend- you expose the wood from the middle that never had a chance to dry correctly,

i have had boards cup after planning to a thin thickness that i thought were dry
Unread 12-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Just like stocks can be bent, I would imaging your forend can be bent back or close to how it should be. It will require that you get a little inventive with clamps and jigs and heat.
If you put too much stress on it it may crack at the location of least amount of wood, i.e., at the key latch recess.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

I have never seen anything like this happen. And there is nothing really different about a keyed forend as compared to other types.

It is likely climate aclimation, but i am just surprised as to how much it moved. Higly figured wood will usually change more over time than plain wood.

I usually like to stay away from highly figured wood for forends as to ensure strength when installing and removing.
Unread 12-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,242 Times in 445 Posts

Wood moves. I recently "discovered" a rifle stock that I have owned for 30+ years had warped enough to be pushing on the barrel. This is after sitting in a safe for the last ten years unshot. Finding someone who does stock bending might be the best bet,
keavin nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
CHE
PGCA Member

Member Info

did you put finish on the interior of the stock? If not steam or heat bend it and try that.
tom leshinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys.
I think I will use some moist heat and hang a small weight off the tip and just give it as much time as it needs. I'll go slow I have nothing to loose , can't stand looking at it the way it is.
No I have no sealant inside just linseed oil.
Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote