Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 12-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

This is another example of Mother Natures cruelty. The antis should see this along with the PETA liberals. Where's that deer rights???
Unread 12-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #22
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

A coyote killed a small dog in Fairfax Va. last week,don't have all the details there getting to close to homes in northern Va.I've seen deer,fox,raccoons and a lot of bird life in and around my property but no coyotes yet. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I grew up on a gentleman's farm in rural north Alabama so we had a lot of coyote sightings even 30 years ago, so have seen them in action but they were always very wary animals and mostly nocturnal. Have never heard of anyone getting attacked back then, but nowadays its probably different. Its like National Park bears, they are probably some of the most dangerous because not afraid of man, same thing with mountain lions. I think grizzlies and lions in the wild that have had a few shots fired over their heads are less dangerous to man, but that is a different thought.

I think if you keep popping off at them a few coyote's will have some near misses you will start seeing less of them. Its probably not the ones that you kill but the ones that learn to stay away from that makes a difference You will never get rid of them though unless you have an all out war on them. They tried that before but a public out cry today would be faster and more furious than a shotgun at 10 feet. Besides these animals are very adaptive, creative and cunning, and will be hard to control. Right now in parts of the South I would bet they would welcome a little more coyote's to take on the feral pig population.

Since I left the old farm years ago parents have lost a few yard dogs and barn cats to what we think might have been coyotes. Years ago we had seen them try and lead our dogs off by trying to get them to chase them by feigning a limp, then we suspect the pack would jump the dog. A couple of years ago parents lost power to a cat that got electrocuted on top of a power pole, we think a coyote chased it up there.

Have lived in a subdivision in suburbia Atlanta for last 15 or so years, its actually against the law to discharge a firearm where I live. So no hunting with guns. We have a healthy deer population that is getting bigger. Have seen a few foxes and racoons over the years but not many. I have never seen a coyote or even heard of anyone in our neighborhood that has seen one until just a week ago, though I knew they were probably around since live close to Chattahoochee River. I walk my springer spaniel early every morning without a leash since I live next to the recreation area of my neighborhood. Its about a 50 yard walk from the gate of my backyard to an area where he can run around off heel. I am walking along watching him and turn around and about 75 yards behind me a coyote is trailing me.

He was big for a coyote and indeed did look like a medium sized German shepherd like in the picture. Coyote saw me and just stopped but I could tell its focus was on my dog. It ran off about 40 yards and then came running back. By this time my dog was at my side and was making him stand at heel. Coyote was just staring us down and then started doing that same fake limp that I had seen years ago and was looking over his shoulder every few steps to see if my dog was chasing him. Luckily my dog is pretty well trained family dog and has had a few run ins with German Shepherds so he wanted no part of that Coyote. But now I know why I am seeing more lost cat signs posted in the neighborhood.

Coyotes are one thing but wolves are another. Years ago we used to go up grouse hunting in Minnesota. I was not on this trip but my dad had a wolf come across a clear cut to him and his setter. Wolf was so focused on his dog that he never saw my dad just standing there. Not certain if wolves can see blaze orange. At first he thought it was a big goat with that long face and he was thinking why is someones goat out here running around until it got within about five yards of him. His setter finally saw the wolf and dog ran behind him and that wolf still did not see my dad standing there. For a second he thought he was going to have to shoot it but he shouldered gun and yelled. That wolf just stopped and looked up at him in a stare down for a few moments and then just ambled off. It was not afraid but more pissed it could not have Setter for lunch. A few years later my dad lost a different Setter up there, first dog he has ever lost. Dog had always hunted close and he always used bells but its like the dog just disappeared. He was not thinking wolf initially but dog had a chip and he let every vet in a 100 mile radius know to be on lookout if someone brought him in. No luck. It is still a wild guess but we wonder if a wolf had gotten him. That was his last trip up there.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 12-17-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 12-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

COB would be glad to know that I have bought four Winchester rifles this week. I am trying to beat the coyote problem while adhering to The Lovely Linda's prohibition on shotgun purchases.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Good job Bill Pre64 M70's?
Unread 12-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #26
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

I have a couple of dedicated coyote rifles. A .220 Swift, and a .220 Middlestad. (.243/.308 necked down to .22 cal.) And have killed tons of coyotes.
The Middlestad drives a 70 grain Berger at 4000 fps, and shoots in the low 2s at 100 yds.
Over the years I have killed them with everything from a. 22 lr, up to a 7 mm Mag. Even killed one with a .45 auto.
Electric call, camo, and a flat shooting rifle, and you're in the coyote business.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #27
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

On my property I tell all my friends that come up to hunt or camp. I have just a couple of rules, and one of them if it's a coyote or a porky it's shot or you are not welcome to come back.......... Very easy rule to follow.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #28
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Guess I've been fortunate. Haven't had many run-ins with Coyotes..none that were serious anyhow. Wolves - they scare me.

Bill - I'm sure you've heard chatter about timber wolves crossing w/coyotes in Western MD (like I have for yrs) Any idea whether that's an issue up that way?
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

That wolf/coyote cross breeding hypothesis has been suggested for at least forty years that I know of in northern New England. Don't know if its been proven but coyotes in the mid-seventy lb. range have been killed up this way. As I understand, 35 - 45 lbs. seems to be the average in the West and Southwest.

Steve Hodges may be able to speak to this subject - he having been in the game-management business in NH and Maine for a lot of his career.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #30
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

New England Coyotes poses about 8% wolf genes. As time goes on these wolf gene traits will become more pronounced through natural selection creating larger Coyotes and more wolf like hunting and family behavior. The mentioned picture shows wolf like hunting behavior, by that i mean pack hunting. We do not need to re-introduce wolves to New England, they are re-introducing themselves.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post: