Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #11
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,155 Times in 3,259 Posts

its likely to be a French or Belgium piece - that style of side board/buffet was very popular there at that time

if so - not a North American wood
Unread 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Very nice ! Now where in Michigan did you find it..... (and I missed it..) !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
Jerry Parise
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think that it is European as well. I am an avid collector of American Victorian Furniture and I have seen very few American pieces with game as applied ornamentation. My gut instinct is German. The Germans built many more pieces with game on them.
Jerry Parise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,168 Posts

Yes I'd agree it's likely of European origin. I think maybe it's cherry with burled walnut insets but I'm not sure. I'm pretty good with lumber but the light color sort of has me thrown.

Tight fit doesn't even begin to describe it. I didn't intend to buy it really, so I hadn't measured the spot for it. I figured they would have more on it than I wanted to give. I went to another estate sale in Ann Arbor that day and couldn't stop thinking about it. So I called the guy who runs the company that had it and it hadn't sold yet. I think he was worried it wouldn't move so we haggled a bit on the price and I drove to a rural area outside Jackson to see it in person before sealing the deal with cash.

When the delivery guys brought it up yesterday it was just a hair bit too tall to fit in the only place I had where it would work. We took it back apart and rolled it over, screwed all the caster mounts off and it slid in there without enough room to put a sheet of typing paper in between it and the shelf.

The only other piece of antique furniture I've ever seen that had dead game scenes on it is a long table and six chairs in quarter sawn oak that has pairs of dead mallards carved into the backs of the chairs. That ain't for sale sadly, but my place is too small for it anyway.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice find dont many things come along like this...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote