Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Winter 2017 Issue Parker Pages Deadline Oct 15
Unread 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Default Winter 2017 Issue Parker Pages Deadline Oct 15

These deadlines seem to be coming closer and closer together....

The Deadline for articles and material for the Fall Issue is October 15 which is just about 23 days away.
So if you're working on a story or technical article to submit for publication in this issue there's not a whole lot of time to pull it all together.

- We could use a book review or two along with a few pictures...

- We could use some 'hunting with my Parker' stories along with some pictures... it is almost upland and waterfowl season after all - lets get the writing juices flowing and tell us about a past special hunt and please include some pictures.

- We could use a good technical article or historical article...

- We could use a good story about a Parker with some special provenance...

- We could use an article involving other things manufactured by Parker, such as lamps, or coffee grinders, or vises, or anvils, or advertising materials, or clocks....

- Josh Loewensteiner could use some new entries for the "Parkers Found" column. There are a lot of spaces to be filled in the list such as 'firsts' or 'lasts' or 'only known' or anything known to be factory original but unique.

- The Parker Marketplace has been somewhat lacking recently and so far we have only one ad for the fall issue. I know as a fact that guns are definitely bought and sold through this function of Parker Pages. And remember, your ads are only run once unless I am contacted specifically to run an ad again.

- For first time contributors and as a brush-up for those who have provided material for publication in the past, please read my "Suggestions For Contributors..." on page 16 of the Fall 2017 Issue.

Thanks very much for your generous contributions.

Best, Dean

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

A reminder that time is growing short to get your articles and stories in before the October 15 deadline for the Winter Issue.

If you have any questions or problems please contact me and I will do whatever I can to resolve them.

Best, Dean

Unread 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

I will have an article to you about my first dove with Mr. John Davis.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 10-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I sent Dean an article earlier this week and should have some photos to go along with it today.

I seriously encourage all members to consider submitting an article to Parker Pages. It is not hard to do and is very rewarding. Your memories are then written down for posterity. It is stories from the heart of regular members that sets Parker Pages apart from other publications, IMHO.

Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks very much Mike. We're always glad to include your articles and stories in Parker Pages.

Mills, I wish I could click on the 'Thanks' button more than just once!
I agree with you 100%
A thousand Thanks !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey Dean I have a small write up I would like to contribute, but don't have my Parker pages with me, is there a sticky on the site for "Suggestions For Contributors..." ?
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Look forward to seeing it Rick.

I think the important suggestions are to send the article in Word format, send photos separately, and make sure to send real camera photos and not cell phone photos.
Unread 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

. . . and the suggestions for contributors is on the website. Here it is, cut and pasted.

Suggestions for Contributors to Parker Pages

Parker Pages receives and publishes material sent in many forms. Some Department material describes PGCA activities or proceedings and is sent by members of the Board of Directors or PGCA staff by email to the editor. Most of these articles are received as email attachments, and a very few are received by mail as typed manuscripts or written notes accompanied by glossy photos. We continue to solicit and publish material prepared in any form. Typed or hand written material must be arranged and formatted by the editor; if it arrives a very few days before Parker Pages closing dates (15 January, 30 April, 15 July, and 15 October) that material may be more carefully prepared for publication in a later issue. The most rapid preparation can be done with text provided as email attachments in MS Word format.

We do have difficulty with some photos we receive, and offer these guidelines for submitting pictures;

Glossy prints from film are always welcome. As a guide, we can publish the subject of interest in a photo, at about the same size it appears in the original. We may publish color photos on one of the color pages, or convert to black and white and insert it at a fitting spot in text. The 4 x 6 inch glossy photos prepared by most processors make good illustrations of one quarter page or less. Cover photos, or detailed pictures for the back cover, should be sent as 8 x 10 inch prints. Many processors can convert film images to digital form as the photos are developed, and put the photos on a CD or zip drive as an alternative to a second set of prints. Mailing these electronic storage devices to Parker Pages gives us maximum flexibility in publishing the pictures as long as the pictures were originally taken with a good camera and not a cell phone.

Parker Pages encounters the most difficulty in publishing digital pictures that are compressed for emailing or storage. These pictures appear sharp when viewed on a screen, but do not produce sharp prints on paper. The sharpest digital pictures are transferred from the camera’s (flash card) to the computer. To ensure you are able to take the highest quality pictures (most pixels, highest resolution) there is a “settings” mode in your digital camera that will allow you to set it to the largest image format. Some storage and editing programs ‘compress’ as part of the editing process, also some phone lines and other connections are unable to handle uncompressed pictures. I can’t emphasize strongly enough to please use a good digital camera and do not rely on your cell phone to take pictures suitable for publication… it probably will not.

Please do not send text documents with embedded graphics or pictures as these will have been compressed to fit in the document and are much too small for publication. The publisher requires 300 pixels per inch to print pictures of comparable quality to those printed from film. As a guide, the block displayed when you select a picture from desktop with Micro Soft Picture Manager shows “Dimensions” on the top line. These dimensions must be 1200 X 1800 or greater to produce sharpness approximating that of a 4 x 6 inch glossy print. The dimensions must exceed these numbers if a small section of the photo is to be enlarged. Large format digital cameras, such as the Nikon D70, collect pictures at dimensions of 2000 x 3000; individuals can be enlarged from groups, and grade can be recognized from a photo of a person holding a Parker with these dimensions. For example, HP “Photosmart” scanners are adjustable to scan at dimensions exceeding 300 pixels per inch. Our experience indicates 600 pixels per inch, or more, may be necessary in order to capture detail of old Parker Catalogs or documents. Please, when preparing to send pictures by e-mail, right click on the picture and select ‘rename’. Please include your name or the serial number of the gun when renaming the picture so that the pictures can be more easily identified when the editor searches his ‘download’ file for your pictures.

The Parker Pages editor may be able to assist contributors with photographing guns or other Parker related items and he has size limited scanning capability for printed items or glossy prints. Contact the editor if you need photographic or scanning support to prepare an article. We can also arrange photography at PGCA events.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanks Mills - I just came on the site here and would have posted it. Much appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Awesome, Thanks guys, its just a paragraph or two! I'll try and get some photos.
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote