Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

People do like shiny things
Unread 08-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default People do like shiny things

So as some/many of you know I lost my hearing back in may(cochlear implant sense then and a lot better, though still adjusting but anyway), to distract myself and help keep my spirits up I decided to take a sick day from work and take my 1957 pigeon grade 12 gauge superposed to the the skeet range. As I was shooting on that late May day an individual I had met a few times out there stopped to say hi on his way back from the trap fields. As I was newly deaf communication was difficult but with the help of smart phones we managed. Anyway he noticed I was shooting a superposed and asked if he could try it.

One thing lead to another and he was offering me $1000 more than it was worth(from what I know of this gentleman, money is not a problem), and even though I was very attached to this gun, in a moment of weakness I said ok. Transaction did allow me to purchase a VERY nice DH.

Kicked myself for 3 months over that decision. Anyway, was out at the same skeet range yesterday shooting my shooter DH I acquired back in 2013 from Dave Fjeline. I have posted it here and even wrote about acquiring it in the PP. It is a 6.8 lb 12 gauge on a 1 frame with 28 inch barrels. Receiver has some pits and the engraving isn't as sharp as it should be (probably due to removing rust/pits), it is a 3 dog gun, pretty damascus barrels, metal to wood fit isn't perfect as the stock is from another gun, finish is beautiful, floor plate is a little woppy jawed, a pretty gun but a shooter with little collector value. Which is why Dave sold if to me for $1100. It was my second parker and 1st D. I have recently developed a fondness for my heavier 8 and 9 lbs DHs and so hadn't shot this one much recently but took it out yesterday.

Anyway, while out shooting with this light whippy thing, the same gentlman joins me on the skeet range. Was glad to hear I was hearing again...(can't believe I wrote that)....and we shot a few round together. Nice thing about a cochlear implant is I don't have to wear ear plugs anymore...see there are bright sides to everything.

Back to my story, as we were finishing up he asked if he could try my parker out as he had never fired one. So I let him. He likes the gun and asked if I would sell it to him. I tell him that it is probably worth more to me than what the actual value of the gun is. He then says he will trade me back my superposed plus $500 on top of that......Well, I am minus one parker shooter grade DH that I didn't shoot much, and have my superposed back which I have missed and he has a parker.

I will have to make sure he isn't shooting there the next time I bring a fine shotgun
Unread 08-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Michael D Hankinson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I love stories like that, there are a few I would love to have back, a gun you like to shoot is worth so much more than one in the safe that is "just there filling space".
Michael D Hankinson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael D Hankinson For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hopefully he wont join the Parker forum and read your post.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

If he does it won't be any news to him. I told him he was significantly over paying for a shooter parker, he said he didn't care he wanted that gun.
Unread 08-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,336 Times in 363 Posts

I'm very fond of my various Superposed and my pigeon grades with 32 tubes is my favorite gun for sporting clays.
Great Trade!!!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote